Shrimp and Asparagus with White Bean Puree
- 3-4 cups cooked white beans or about 2 cans
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice divided
- 2 cloves garlic minced and divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- pinch of red pepper flakes optional
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion cut in half then sliced thinly
- 1 pound asparagus trimmed and cut in 3 to 4 inch pieces*
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined**
- Place the beans, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper, 1 clove of the minced garlic, an optional red pepper flakes in a medium saucepan. Add 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and puree with a handheld immersion blender (if using a regular blender or food processor, return beans to pan after pureeing). Keep warm over lowest heat.
- Combine the remaining minced garlic clove and 3 tablespoons lemon juice along with 1/2 teaspoon salt, parsley, and 3 tablespoons olive oil in a small glass measuring cup, whisking to emulsify. Set aside.
Vegetables & Shrimp:
- Saute onions in 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil for 3-5 minutes over medium heat.
- Stir in asparagus, cover and cook for about 3-4 minutes just until crisp-tender.
- Add shrimp and cook until they turn pink, 1-2 minutes (pre-cooked shrimp only needs to be heated through).
- Place a quarter of the beans on each of four serving plates and divide the asparagus-shrimp mixture evenly.
- Pour the dressing over the top of each and serve immediately.
**This also is wonderful with scallops. Cook just the same as shrimp.
Other Seafood Recipes to Try:
Note: this recipe was originally published in 2010 and has been updated with all new photos, formatting and printable recipe. Enjoy!
Disclosure: affiliate links in this article will earn commission based on sales, but it doesn’t change your price. Click here to read my full disclaimer and advertising disclosure.
Subscribe & Make This Year's Garden A Success!