Real Food Slow Cooker Cheesy-Garlic Scalloped Potatoes
Easy to make, this all real food scalloped potatoes is baked in a slow cooker so you can make it ahead & free up oven space.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours 30 mins
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1–1/2 cup milk
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1–1/2 cup shredded cheese (sharp cheddar, Fontina, Gruyere, Gouda, or a combination)
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced thin with a mandoline or food processor
- 1/2 of a large onion, diced
- Make the cheese sauce: melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Stir the flour, salt and pepper. Gradually add the milk, whisking over medium heat until the sauce is thickened and bubbly. Add the garlic and 1 cup of the cheese, stirring to melt. Remove from the burner and set aside.
- Butter the crock of a 4 to 6 qt. slow cooker. Layer half of the potatoes evenly on the bottom, and sprinkle all of the diced onions over the potatoes. Pour half of the cheese sauce over the layers, spreading as needed to cover all the potatoes.
- Repeat with remaining potatoes and cheese sauce. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over the top.
- Cover and cook on low 6 to 7 hours or on high for 4 hours.*
*Can be made up to a day in advance and refrigerated before cooking (after step 3). Start for 1 hour on high first if cooking on low to warm up from being refrigerated (add another 30 min to cook time if cooking on high).
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup
- Calories: 298
- Sugar: 3.2g
- Sodium: 291mg
- Fat: 9.9g
- Saturated Fat: 6.2g
- Carbohydrates: 44.4g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Protein: 9.7g
- Cholesterol: 29mg
Keywords: Scalloped Potatoes, Potatoes, Slow Cooker, Crock Pot, Side Dish
This recipe has been updated – it was originally published in 2013.
Other Slow Cooker Recipes You May Like:
Disclosure: affiliate links in this article will earn commission based on sales, but it doesn’t change your price. Click here to read my full disclaimer and advertising disclosure.
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables