Slow Cooker, Instant Pot Italian Sausage Vegetable Soup
Simple, quick-to-make, hearty, and flavorful this Italian sausage vegetable soup can be made in a traditional slow cooker, an Instant Pot used as a slow cooker, or fully pressure cooked with directions in the notes section.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 20 mins
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 lb. Italian sausage (any kind: ground, links, or precooked)
- 4 c. beef broth
- 1/2 c. dry red wine (or more broth)
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 med. onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15-oz can garbanzo beans (or whatever type you have)
- 2 c. chopped green cabbage, chard, kale, or spinach
- 2 c. cut green beans, fresh or frozen
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 c. small pasta or rice, cooked (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated parmesan for serving
- parsley for serving (optional)
- If using uncooked sausage, cook it in a skillet until brown, drain and transfer to the bowl of a large slow cooker. (OR if using an Instant Pot, use the sauté button to brown the sausage as well as cook the onion for more flavor before switching to the slow cooker button.)
- Combine the broth and the wine (if using) and pour over the meat.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the last four. Cover and cook on high for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or low for about 8 hours.
- Add the cooked pasta or rice (turn cooker to high if you used the low setting) and cook for another 20 minutes until the pasta is heated through.
- Season to taste and serve with Parmesan and parsley, if desired.
To cook fully in an electric pressure cooker:
Follow above directions, but instead of slow cooking, lock the lid, set to manual and cook high pressure 20 minutes (note on timing: it takes about 20 min. to come up to pressure). Let the steam release naturally (another 10-20 minutes).
Note: this recipe was originally published in 2010 and has been updated with all new photos, a lower-sugar caramel option, new formatting, and printable recipe.
Other Slow Cooker Recipes You May Like
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links and by clicking on them you help support AOC at no extra cost to you – thanks so much! Plus you can trust I’ll only share what I love. (You can always read our entire disclosure page here.)
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables