Slow Cooker Italian Style Pot Roast
An easy and super flavorful way to upgrade a pot roast to amazing – especially served with garlic & sour cream mashed potatoes.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 9 hours
- Total Time: 9 hours 10 mins
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- Category: slow cooker
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 1 lb. carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 c. sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3–4 lbs)
- salt and pepper
- 2 14-oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 1 c. dry red wine (can substitute with beef broth)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. each: basil, thyme, and oregano
- 3 slices bacon
- chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Layer onions, carrots and mushrooms (if using) in the bowl of a 4 to 6 qt. slow cooker.
- Season roast with salt and pepper and place on top of vegetables in cooker.
- Add tomatoes around the edge and pour wine (or broth) over all.
- Mix garlic and herbs together and spread evenly over the top of the roast; lay the bacon slices on top.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour, turn to LOW and cook for 7-8 hours (or cook on LOW for 10 hours).
- Transfer roast to a cutting board and slice against the grain. Arrange on a platter with the vegetables and spoon some of the juices over all. Pass the remaining juice at the table along with a side dish of mashed potatoes.
To use an oven: cook the roast covered in a 350 degree oven for about 2-3 hours at 325 degrees or until a meat thermometer says it’s done. Lay the roast on just the onions and wait to add the carrots and mushrooms until the last hour. You can remove the cover the last 15 minutes to see about crisping up the bacon, too.
Other slow cooker recipes you may like:
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables