Slow Cooker Spiced Whole Chicken
Using a slow cooker to cook your chicken is quick, easy, and results in a moist, rotisserie-style chicken your family will love.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 3 hours 30 mins
- Total Time: 3 hours 35 mins
- Yield: 6 servings+
- Category: Slow Cooker
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
- 4-5 pound whole chicken
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, optional
- Remove all the giblets from the chicken and skin it, if desired (if leaving the skin on, pat it dry). Either way do remove as much fat as possible. Place in a large (5-6 quart) slow cooker, breast side up.
- Mix all the seasonings and then sprinkle all over the chicken (optionally, you can mix the spices with a tablespoon of olive oil and use a pastry brush to spread it all over the bird).
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3-1/2 to 4 hours (or on LOW for 7 to 8 hours), until juices run clear. Cut into pieces for immediate serving. Use any extra meat for another meal.
To make broth or soup: Reserve the juices in the bottom of the cooker, add any remaining bones along with some onion, celery, and carrot and cook on low all night. In the morning, strain the broth and freeze or use for soup. Pretty effortless, right?
Slice a couple of onions and spread them on the bottom of the cooker before adding the chicken- the onions cook in all that great flavor.
Add sliced (or baby) carrots, mushrooms, and/or potatoes under the chicken.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 197
- Sugar: 0.2g
- Sodium: 442mg
- Fat: 13.8g
- Saturated Fat: 3.7g
- Carbohydrates: 0.8g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 14.2g
- Cholesterol: 67mg
Keywords: slow cooker, chicken, easy
Note: this recipe was originally published in 2011 and has been updated with all new photos, clearer formatting and printable recipe. Enjoy!
More chicken recipes you may like:
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables