Slow Cooker Spiced Whole Chicken – OR Instant Pot
Using a slow cooker to cook your chicken is quick, easy, and results in a moist, rotisserie-style chicken your family will love. Now with Instant Pot directions, too.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 3 hours 30 mins
- Total Time: 3 hours 35 mins
- Yield: 6 servings+ 1x
- Category: Slow Cooker
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
- 4–5 pound whole chicken
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, optional
- If using an electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot): 1 cup of chicken broth or water
- Remove all the giblets from the chicken and skin it, if desired (if leaving the skin on, pat it dry). Either way do remove as much fat as possible. Slow Cooker: Place in a large 5-6 quart slow cooker, breast side up. Instant Pot: Place a trivet and a cup of chicken stock or water in the bottom of the removable liner and lay your prepared 4-5 pound chicken on the trivet, breast up.
- Mix all the seasonings and sprinkle all over the chicken, rubbing down the sides. Optionally, you can mix the spices with a tablespoon of olive oil and use a pastry brush to spread it all over the bird.
- Slow Cooker: Cover and cook on HIGH for 3-1/2 to 4 hours (or on LOW for 7 to 8 hours), until juices run clear.
- Instant Pot: Secure the lid of the pressure cooker, set the vent to “seal” and cook on Manual setting for 25 minutes for a 4 pound chicken or 35 minutes for a 5 pound chicken.
When done, allow to release naturally for 15 minutes and then do a quick release as necessary. Check with an instant-read thermometer in the thigh to see if it’s reached 165 degrees. If not, reseal and cook another 5 minutes, doing a quick release at the end this time.
- Cut into pieces for immediate serving. Use any extra meat for another meal.
To make broth or soup: Reserve the juices in the bottom of the cooker, add any remaining bones along with some onion, celery, and carrot and cook on low all night. In the morning, strain the broth and freeze or use for soup. Pretty effortless, right?
- Slice a couple of onions and spread them on the bottom of the cooker before adding the chicken- the onions cook in all that great flavor.
- Add sliced (or baby) carrots, mushrooms, and/or potatoes under and around the chicken.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 197
- Sugar: 0.2g
- Sodium: 442mg
- Fat: 13.8g
- Saturated Fat: 3.7g
- Carbohydrates: 0.8g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 14.2g
- Cholesterol: 67mg
Keywords: slow cooker, chicken, easy, whole chicken, instant pot
Note: this recipe was originally published in 2011 and has been updated with all new photos, clearer formatting and printable recipe. Enjoy!
More chicken recipes you may like:
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables