Soft & Easy 10 Grain Sandwich Bread Recipe
- 1/2 cup 10-grain cereal or 7-grain cereal
- 2 cups water divided
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour or unbleached flour*
- 1 ½ tablespoons dry yeast or 2 packages
- 2 eggs
- 3 to 3 ½ cups unbleached flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sesame seeds or poppy seeds
- Combine multi-grain cereal and 1 cup of water in a small pan. Cook over medium-low heat, covered, for 10 minutes, or until soft.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted then add the remaining 1 cup of water, honey, and salt. Cool to lukewarm (Use cold water to speed this process).
- In a mixer combine the 2 cups of whole wheat flour, yeast, cereal mixture and eggs. Beat at low speed 1 minute, scraping bowl, then beat at high speed 2 minutes.
- Using a dough hook (or by hand), stir in 3 cups unbleached flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead with hook 3 minutes (or by hand 5-8 minutes), using remaining flour, if needed. (NOTE: don't add too much flour at this point when using the 2 cups whole wheat - the dough will still look sticky on bottom and sides of mixing bowl, but will not be sticky to the touch.*)
- Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease all sides. Cover and let rise until double, 1 to 1 ¼ hours.
- Punch down and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half, cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- Shape into 2 loaves and place in 9x4-in pans. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Combine the egg yolk with 1 Tb. water and brush on tops of loaves. Sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Turn out of pans and let cool completely on racks before slicing.
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links and by clicking on them you help support AOC at no extra cost to you – thanks so much! (Oh, and you can always read ourentire disclosure page here.)
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables