Sourdough Whole Wheat Crackers
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1/4 cup butter or coconut oil, softened
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour + extra for rolling
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- olive oil + salt for topping
- Mix the starter, butter, and honey in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix 1/4 cup of the flour with the salt and baking soda. Add to the large bowl and mix until smooth.
- Add the remaining 3/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until a smooth, stiff dough forms. You may need to add more flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, if the sourdough starter was "wet."
- Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Turn the dough out to a well-floured surface and divide into three portions. Roll out one portion, keeping the remaining dough covered, until quite thin (1/8" or thinner). Use plenty of flour and turn as necessary to keep from sticking.
- Use a pizza wheel or knife to cut into squares and place on a silicone or parchment lined baking sheet. Fill the pan- the crackers don't expand, so place them quite close together without touching.
- Spray (or brush) the crackers with olive oil- it doesn't need to be even, just make sure all the crackers get a bit of oil- and sprinkle very lightly with a fine salt. Don't use too much- it really makes them too salty.
- Bake for 8 to 9 minutes, rotating the pan as needed, until medium brown. Remove crackers to a cooling rack as they brown and return pan to oven as needed to brown all the crackers.
- Repeat with remaining dough while the first batch is baking.
Other sourdough recipes you may like:
- Sourdough Whole Wheat English Muffins
- Sourdough Waffles (they may spoil you for anything else…)
- Sourdough Artisan Bread
- Sourdough Bagel Tutorial
Note: this article was originally published in 2011 and has been updated with larger photos, clearer formatting, and printable recipe. Enjoy!
Disclosure: affiliate links in this article will earn commission based on sales, but it doesn’t change your price. Click here to read my full disclaimer and advertising disclosure.
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables