Spiced Lemon Skillet Chicken with Kale & Beans
Seared, chili-spiced chicken roasted with kale, lemon, and beans makes an easy and super flavorful skillet meal.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- 1 TB. + 1 tsp. Basic Spice Rub (made with chili powder)*
- 4–6 chicken bone-in, skin-on legs and/or thighs
- 1 TB. olive, coconut, or peanut oil
- 1/2 lg. onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2–1/2 c. cooked garbanzo, cranberry, or white beans (from your freezer, or about 2 cans)
- 1/2 c. chicken broth
- 1 small lemon, cut in half lengthwise, seeded and sliced thinly
- 1 lg. bunch kale (or chard), stemmed and chopped
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add the chicken to a bowl or large baggie, along with a tablespoon of spice rub and mix/shake until chicken is coated with rub.
- Heat 1 Tb. oil in a cast iron or oven proof skillet, add the chicken pieces skin side down and cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes before turning and cooking another 5 minutes until nicely browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Add onions and garlic to the skillet and cook for about a minute before adding beans, chicken broth and 1 tsp. more of the spice rub. Cook about a minute more.
- Toss in the kale and lemon slices, mixing well, and then nestle the chicken pieces on top. Place the skillet in the oven and roast 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken juices run clear when pierced with a knife.
- Serve immediately with a crusty bread to soak up any juices.
*Or use your favorite spice rub, but make sure it has some chili-powder in it, since this gives the dish it’s spice.
Other one-dish meals you may like:
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables