Spicy Asian Slaw Recipe
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage about 1/2 head
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage or use 6 cups all green
- 1 small onion preferably sweet, sliced thinly or chopped
- 2 large carrots grated
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 to 3 teaspoons sriracha sauce or other hot sauce - more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger or 1/2 tsp. dried
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise optional for a creamier dressing
- sesame seeds
- Shred the cabbage by hand or using the slicing blade of a food processor (you'll need to chop it a bit by hand still to take care of larger pieces).
- Combine the cabbage and remaining vegetables in a large bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a 2-cup measure, adding the hot sauce at the end and tasting to adjust to your taste. Pour over the cabbage mixture and mix well.
- Serve with a sprinkling of sesame seeds.
Omit Soy Sauce and sesame oil; add 1 Tb. fish sauce and the juice of one lime. Increase the oil to 1/3 cup. This is especially good made with Napa (Chinese) Cabbage. To make ahead:
- Prepare full recipe and hold in the refrigerator for 4-5 hours before serving.
- Prepare vegetables and dressing, storing separately in the refrigerator and mixing about 30 min. to an hour before serving for best flavor.
Note: this recipe was originally published in 2011 and has been updated with all new photos, clearer formatting and printable recipe. Enjoy!
More Favorite Slaws to Try:
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables