Spicy Canned Plum Sauce Recipe
Make your own canned plum sauce for recipes and as a condiment on meats and Asian dishes. It’s super easy, tastes delicious, and make a fun gift.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 30 mins
- Yield: 8 half pints 1x
- 4 pounds plums, washed, cut in half and pitted (or amount needed to equal 8 cups of food-processed chopped plums)
- 3/4 c. chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 1–1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1 c. white sugar
- 1 T. dry mustard
- 2 T. dry, ground ginger
- 1 T. salt
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 c. cider vinegar
- Chop plums in a food processor and transfer to a large heavy-bottomed pot (it should equal 8 cups chopped plums). Chop onions in processor and add them to the plums.
- Combine the remaining ingredients with plums and onions, bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Cook until thickened, about an hour.
- For a smooth sauce, puree with an immersion blender right in the pot (optional if you’d like a chunkier sauce, though it helps speed the cooking time) and continue cooking for another hour, or until the sauce reaches the desired thickness.
- Ladle sauce into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Attach lids and rings. Process 20 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Remove to a cloth to cool completely.
- Test lids, label jars, and use within a year to 18 months.
- Note:This recipe was adapted from one in the Ball Blue Book of Preserving, keeping the safe canning ratio by decreasing the sugar and omitting two fresh ingredients so I could add another teaspoon of fresh garlic. I also changed some of the dry ingredients which doesn’t affect acidity.
Other easy canned condiments you may like:
Note: this recipe for canned plum sauce was originally published in 2011 and has been updated with larger photos, pinnable image, clearer formatting and printable recipe. Enjoy!
Disclosure: affiliate links in this post will earn commission based on sales, but it doesn’t change your price. Click here to read my full disclaimer and advertising disclosure.
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables