Starbucks Inspired Frosted Maple Oat Scones
- 2 ¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup whole rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup buttermilk milk + 1 teaspoon vinegar works
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup divided
- 1 to 1 ¼ cups powdered sugar*
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment or silicone liner.
- Add the first 5 ingredients to the bowl of a mixer and stir. Cut in the butter pieces until small pea-sized pieces form.
- In a 1 cup measuring glass, pour the buttermilk and 1/4 cup of the maple syrup and then whisk in the eggs with a fork until beaten. Add this to the flour mixture and stir just until blended (the dough will be sticky still).
- Turn out onto a floured surface and gently pat into a circle with floured hands (be careful not to overwork the dough - just pat it all into a circle shape, about 1 ½ inches thick).
- At this point decide between 8 large scones or 12 smaller scones (the smaller scones are pictured here): for 8 scones, divide large circle into 8 triangles, separate them and place a couple inches apart on prepared baking sheet; for 12 scones, cut large circle in half and gently form each into smaller circles - cut each of these into 6 triangles and place on prepared sheet.
- Bake about 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack with wax paper underneath to catch any frosting drips.
- Make frosting by combining the remaining 1/4 cup maple syrup with the powdered sugar in a small bowl and whisk until smooth (you may need to adjust the amount of powdered sugar to get the consistency you desire - I like more of a frosting than a glaze, but it's your choice).
- Divide the frosting evenly among the warm scones, spreading to cover the tops and serve as soon as possible (any leftovers are best frozen to stay freshest).
This recipe has been updated – it was originally published in April 2014.
Other Quick Breads You May Like:
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables