Strawberry Shortcake with Crunchy Drop Biscuits
For Drop Biscuits (see note below):
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter cut into 8 pieces
- 1 cup milk
For Strawberry Shortcakes:
- 6 warm biscuits
- 1 pound strawberries about 2 to 3 cups sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon honey or sugar, to taste
- To Make Biscuits:
- Heat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with a baking liner or parchment.
- Add flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar to the bowl of a food processor* and pulse to mix. Toss in the butter pieces and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add milk all at once and pulse until the dough comes together (don't process too much). The dough should be a "wet' dough.
- Using a 1/4 c. scoop,** drop onto prepared pan 2-3 inches apart.
- Bake 15 minutes, turning halfway through if needed for even cooking. Let cool on a wire rack until serving.
- For Strawberry Shortcakes:
- Slice strawberries, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. of sugar and toss gently. Let sit at room temperature until serving.
- Whip cream with honey (or sugar) until stiff peaks form. This can be done and hour or two in advance and kept in the fridge until serving (if you use honey, it helps keep the cream from separating after whipping, so it stores better).
- To serve, split each biscuit needed and place the bottoms on small plates or bowls. Top with about 1/2 cup of sliced strawberries, replace tops and add a spoonful of whipped cream.
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links and by clicking on them you help support AOC at no extra cost to you – thanks so much! Plus you can trust I'll only share what I love. (You can always read our entire disclosure page here.)
Looking for more ways to use strawberries?