Ultimate No-Bake Chewy Granola Bars
The ultimate granola bar combination that stays together and tastes great. These are the perfect after school and hiking/camping snacks!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 10 min
- Yield: 18 bars
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup brown sugar*
- 3 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
Nut Butter Bar:
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup nut butter (peanut, almond, cashew…)
For both bar variations:
- 3 cups granola (crush any large pieces)
- 1-1/2 cups crispy rice cereal (or other puffed cereal)
- 4 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1 cup TOTAL add-ins **(see note)
- Line a 13″ x 9″ pan with parchment or waxed paper (the pan can be lightly greased as well, but cutting and removing the bars won’t be as easy).
- Combine the first ingredients of bar you are making (3 ingredients for regular bar, 2 for nut butter bar) in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir to combine and melt together until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly right in the saucepan (see article tips on adding chocolate chips – add them last).
- When everything is mixed well, scrape into the prepared pan, spreading evenly. Press the mixture down very firmly.
- Refrigerate 1 hour before removing from the pan, cutting into bars, and placing in baggies or an air tight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to a week or the freezer for longer storage.
*I tried many times to make the regular bar with only honey, but they always fall apart. Using the combo of honey and brown sugar is a key. I’ve reduced it over the years to the minimum needed, though.
**Add-in ideas for variations:
- 1/2. cup cranberries, chopped (important for them to meld into bar and not fall out) + 1/2 cup chopped almonds= Cranberry Almond Bars
- 1/2 cup peanuts + 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips (1/2 cup seemed too much) + nut butter variation = P.B. Chocolate Chip Bars
- 1/2 cup coconut + 1/2 cup chopped apricots = Coconut Apricot Bars
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips + 1/2 cup chopped cashews = White Chocolate Cashew Bars
- your favorite combo!
NUTRITION NOTE: the main nutritional information was using the regular bar with almond and cranberry add-ins. The basic nutrition information per bar for the peanut butter chocolate chip variation is: Calories: 158; Sugar 18.4g; Sodium 52mg; Fat 15.6g; Carb 35.4g; Fiber 4.8g; Protein 9g
- Serving Size: 1 bar of 18
- Calories: 127
- Sugar: 16.4g
- Sodium: 41mg
- Fat: 13.5g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 32.9g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Protein: 7.1g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
Keywords: kid snacks; road trip food; travel food; granola bars; healthy snacks
Looking for More Simple Homemade Pantry Basics?
A Pantry Basic is anything we normally use and have in our pantries that most people buy from the store – and some (like me!) didn’t even know could be made at home! See more pantry basics here.
Disclosure: affiliate links in this article will earn commission based on sales, but it doesn’t change your price. Click here to read my full disclaimer and advertising disclosure.
Subscribe & Get Simple Real Food Dinner Menus + Shopping Lists