Whole Grain Apple Butter Bars
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans optional
- 1½ cups apple butter*
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter a 8 or 9-inch square pan or line with parchment for easy lifting and cutting.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, flour, sugar, salt, soda, cinnamon, and nuts, if using. Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter or electric mixer until thoroughly combined.
- Press half of the mixture (about 2-1/2 cups) into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread the apple butter evenly over the top and then sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the apple butter, pressing down gently.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until lightly browned.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack before cutting into 16 bars (or 12 bars for a granola bar size).
Note: This was originally published in 2010 and has been updated with all new photos, formatting and printable recipe for your convenience.
Other Healthy Recipes to Try:
Whole Wheat Skillet Blackberry Cobbler (a 10-minute prep recipe)
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables