Whole Grain Apple Butter Bars
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 16 bars 1x
- 2 c. rolled oats
- 1 c. whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 c. brown sugar, coconut sugar, or sucanat
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/4 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 3/4 c. butter
- 1/4–1/2 c. chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 to 1-1/2 c. apple butter*
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter a 8 or 9-inch square pan or line with parchment for easy lifting and cutting.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, flour, sugar, salt, soda, cinnamon, and nuts, if using. Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter or electric mixer until thoroughly combined.
- Press half of the mixture (about 2-1/2 cups) into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread the apple butter evenly over the top and then sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the apple butter, pressing down gently.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until lightly browned.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack before cutting into 16 bars (or 12 bars for a granola bar size).
*Variations: use the base with another type of butter or jam, for blackberry bars, pear butter bars and more.
Note: This was originally published in 2010 and has been updated with all new photos, formatting and printable recipe for your convenience.
Other healthy recipes you may like:
Whole Wheat Skillet Blackberry Cobbler (a 10-minute prep recipe)
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables