Whole Grain Cut Out Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar*
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup oats chopped fine until just a few large pieces remain
- 2¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour OR whole wheat white flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the sugar and butter together and then add the egg and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Add the oats, flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder and beat until the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough into two pieces, wrap in wax paper and refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease (or line with parchment paper) 2 baking sheets.
- Remove one dough ball at a time, roll out about 1/4" thick (I like this cookie thicker and a bit more chewy than a regular sugar cookie), cut into shapes and place on cookie sheets close together, because they don't spread. Re-roll as needed to use up the dough.
- Bake the first sheet while rolling the dough for the second sheet. Bake the cookies about 8-9 minutes for thicker cookies (if you've rolled them thinner, they only need to bake 8 minutes).
- Remove the cookies to a rack to cool before decorating.
Adapted from a King Arthur Flour recipe.
Other cookie recipes you may like:
This article is part of the 8 Weeks of Christmas Ideas series where you’ll find resources for cooking, gift ideas, time savers, recipes, traditions & more all November and December through the 24th.
Subscribe & Grab Your Holiday Helpers!