Whole Wheat Blackberry Crumb Bars
Fresh blackberries (or any berry) pair perfectly with whole wheat to make a moist and delicious bar that’s perfect for both a dessert and snacks.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 16 bars 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups fresh blackberries* (see extra note on using frozen berries)
- For the topping:
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, mixing until there are large crumbs and no flour is visible. Refrigerate while continuing with the recipe.
- For the bars:
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and line a 8×8 pan** with parchment, leaving two ends to hang over the sides.
- In a mixer bowl, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla. Add eggs and beat well (it will be lumpy). Mix in flour, baking powder and salt well until everything is thoroughly combined. Spread dough evenly in lined pan.
- Add a layer of blackberries over the dough. Top with the chilled crumb topping, being careful to leave lots of the large pieces intact to create a big crumb on the bars.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool in pan before lifting out by parchment to cut on a board.
- *This recipe works just as well with raspberries or blueberries, too.
- **You can use a 9×9 pan – the bars will be thinner and should bake in 35 to 40 minutes.
Extra note for frozen berries: To use frozen berries, thaw the berries just a bit (not enough that they start producing lots of liquid – just enough to soften) and mix them with a tablespoon of flour. Sprinkle on top of dough as usual. Bake about 5 minutes longer than fresh.
- Serving Size: 1 bar of 16
- Calories: 174
- Sugar: 9.9g
- Sodium: 105mg
- Fat: 9.5g
- Saturated Fat: 5.6g
- Carbohydrates: 20.4g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Protein: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 43mg
Keywords: dessert recipe, snacks, blackberry recipe, berry dessert, coffee cake
Other Berry Recipes You May Like:
Subscribe & Get Simple Real Food Dinner Menus + Shopping Lists