Whole Wheat Blackberry Crumb Bars
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon optional
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ to 2 cups fresh blackberries* see extra note on using frozen berries
For the Topping:
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, mixing until there are large crumbs and no flour is visible. Refrigerate while continuing with the recipe.
For the Bars:
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and line a 8x8 pan** with parchment, leaving two ends to hang over the sides.
- In a mixer bowl, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla. Add eggs and beat well (it will be lumpy). Mix in flour, baking powder and salt well until everything is thoroughly combined. Spread dough evenly in lined pan.
- Add a layer of blackberries over the dough. Top with the chilled crumb topping, being careful to leave lots of the large pieces intact to create a big crumb on the bars.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool in pan before lifting out by parchment to cut on a board.
Other Berry Recipes You May Like:
Subscribe & Get Simple Real Food Dinner Menus + Shopping Lists