Zucchini Lemon Bread
Try a different kind of zucchini bread – a melt-in-your-mouth lemon zucchini bread with a tart lemon glaze.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 2 loaves (8"x4") or 1 loaf plus eight 2 1/2" x 4" small loaves 1x
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 3 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 teaspoons lemon zest (or zest from 1 large lemon)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar*
- 3/4 cup sunflower oil, refined coconut oil (melted) or light olive oil
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees; butter and flour two 8.5 x 4.5 inch loaf pans (see note for options).
- In a medium bowl mix together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and zest.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the eggs and sugar for about 2 minutes, then add the oil, lemon juice and zucchini and mix well.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the egg mixture and stir just until all the flour is incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Immediately pour the batter into the prepared pans, dividing evenly.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes for loaf pans (18-22 minutes if using an 8-loaf pan) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pans before turning out onto a cooling rack set over a baking sheet or waxed paper (to catch glaze drips).
- Whisk 2 tablespoons of lemon juice with a cup of powdered sugar (or as much needed to get a light glaze) until smooth.
- Drizzle over the warm loaves, spreading as needed to drip down sides.
- Serve warm or let cool completely before storing in airtight containers 1-2 days at room temperature or freezing for up to six months.
*I’ve been using just 3/4 cup of cane sugar (less than 1/2 cup in each loaf) and don’t mind the difference. Try it both ways and see which you prefer!
Pan Options: In the photos you’ll see this recipe made one loaf pan with the rest of the batter going into a mini loaf pan with eight 4″ x 2 1/2″ wells. You can also make this into 24 muffins (or one loaf and 12 muffins). Bake muffins just 15-18 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 184
- Sugar: 13.6g
- Sodium: 189mg
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2g
- Carbohydrates: 25.9g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Protein: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 27mg
Keywords: zucchini, zucchini bread, lemon, lemon bread, quick bread, easy recipe, snack recipe, healthy dessert
This recipe has been updated – it was originally published November 2012.
Other Zucchini Recipes To Try:
Zucchini Cinnamon Muffins (from frozen dough!)
Disclosure: affiliate links in this article will earn commission based on sales, but it doesn’t change your price. Click here to read my full disclaimer and advertising disclosure.
Subscribe & Get Lower Sugar Recipes