Happy New Year everyone!
The year 2010 always seemed so far away (and sort of science fiction-y) and now it’s here…
And my “little” boy graduates from high school…aaaaack! Time marches on, people, even if it bowls right over you. 🙂
I’ve been thinking (along with everyone else, it seems) about some personal and blogging goals for the new year. I like to see them as fluid goals, meaning they will be something to work toward in order to feel a sense of accomplishment, but I will not be a failure if they don’t all happen (like resolutions).
We like to keep things positive here at AOC!
Here’s a quick recap of last year, 2009:
- Started on this “Dave Ramsey” thing. It took EIGHT months to finally figure out how to wrap our brains around the concept of “giving every dollar a name” with a computerized budget. Yes, I had actually been *gasp* writing it on paper…
- Because of the blessing of consistent work (a big deal when you’re self-employed!) and Dear Dave, we chipped away at our one large debt (aka, new garage).
- Reined in our grocery spending, cutting our bill by more than $200 some months, but consistently slashing $125 that was able to go to the above-mentioned debt.
- Started this blog on a whim last February, wanting to have a place to spew all my opinions, ideas, and recipes- with pictures!
*We interrupt this recap for this important announcement:*
THANK YOU, readers, for allowing me this space and visiting regularly! I didn’t know your sweet comments and questions would bring such joy and laughter to writing and sharing on this blog…bonus! I seriously love you all and feel I’ve gained much more than I’ve given to all my “bloggy friends.”
*We now return to our regular programming…*
I don’t know, there were probably more, but I didn’t write them down (because you know, no blog!). These were the biggies, though.
Now, for 2010, here’s what Brian and I have been thinking and praying about in four main areas – financial, house, food, and blog.
- Step up the pace to eliminate the garage debt in two years.
- Contribute more to a new-to-us car fund (we’re driving 15 and 20 year-old cars now…the time is coming when they will give up the ghost).
- Continue refining the computerized budget system in order to “live like no one else” and give more.
- Replace 15+ year old carpet (ugh!!) in living room with wood option- hardwood plywood? salvage? discount?
- Tear off rotting deck and replace with a porch and hard surface patio.
- Replace grody tile counters in kitchen with wood ones from IKEA.
- Refinish original hardwood floors? (I know this probably will not happen, but a girl can dream, can’t she?).
Main objective: Explore ways to get more real foods* and still stay in our new $375 budget by:
- look into bulk buying
- try Trader Joe’s (with a list!)
- look for local, bulk meats (1/4 cow, etc.)
- finally get chickens (dream…)
- research raising pigs
*I probably should explain this one, though I will go into details on a later post. I’ve been feeling increasingly dismayed at what I’ve allowed in our house this past year in the pursuit of a good deal. I mean, I never bought out-and-out junk food, but certain crackers, cereals, granola bars that had ingredients I never bought before found their way into the house so I could complete a really good deal. So these goals have grown out of these feelings.
- Make the site more user friendly by including navigation buttons
- Update the sidebars
- Finish the Remodeling Series
- Begin an organizing series
Well, there’s lots more, actually, since AOC is rather new, but I won’t bore you with them now!
I’d love to see your goals, if you’re making any- just leave a link in the comments. And if you have anything you’d like to see on the site, please let me know…I love to hear from you.
Here’s to a great New Year!