This easy and delicious chicken-spinach frittata flavored with feta and garlic makes a quick weeknight meal. It becomes a one-dish dinner when sprinkled with tomatoes.
I’ve mentioned in the past my love affair with frittatas, how simple ingredients (often bits that you need to use up) bound together with eggs can become such a terrific, good-for-you (and just plain good) meal.
We regularly rotate sausage and swiss chard (or spinach or kale) and potato and caramelized onion frittatas through our menus and I’m happy to add another to our list! This one is made with cooked chicken and spinach (or chard, or kale…are you seeing a pattern here?), plus any other seasonal vegetable you may have, feta cheese and then topped with tomatoes.
The cooked chicken can come from either a slow cooked spiced whole chicken or a store bought rotisserie chicken (it’s a happy day when we hit up Costco and come home with a couple of theirs – yum!) and the spinach, chard or kale can be either fresh or frozen.
Like any frittata, these ingredients can be added to, changed up, and seasoned to become a totally different dish – which is why I’m such a fan of this dish.
I chose feta, chives and grape tomatoes to top this recipe, but I think this chicken-and-greens combo would also be fabulous with pepper jack cheese and addictive tomato chutney or or gorgonzola and roasted garlic. Just imagine what you could come up with…
But I did mention how good this chicken-spinach frittata was, right? As in, scrape-the-lovely-cast-iron-skillet-clean good?
In addition to the chicken and spinach, the seasonal vegetable I added this time was fresh garden asparagus sautéed with onions and garlic. I added the feta to the eggs as well as a sprinkling on the top.
So, have I convinced you that you need to add this an other frittatas to your menu rotation yet?
Chicken Spinach Frittata with Feta
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 pound asparagus or other seasonal vegetable cut into 1-inch pieces (optional)
- 2 cups cooked chicken chopped
- 3 cups chopped fresh or frozen spinach thaw first if using frozen
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese divided
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk or water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil or 1 tablespoon fresh, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- optional garnishes: halved grape tomatoes chopped chives or parsley
- Heat oil in a 10-inch cast iron skillet (or nonstick) over medium heat. Add onion and cook a couple minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and asparagus (if using) and cook until vegetables are tender, 5-8 minutes. Add cooked chicken and spinach, stir, cover and let warm through to wilt while mixing the eggs.
- In a 4-cup measure, mix together the eggs, water and seasonings. Stir in 1/4 cup of the crumbled feta.
- Pour the eggs evenly over the top of contents of skillet. Do not stir. Cover and let the eggs set around the edges and somewhat in the middle.
- Turn on the oven broiler to preheat a bit.
- Using a thin spatula, lift the edges and tip the pan so the liquid egg from the middle runs to the edge and under the cooked egg. Continue all the way around the edge until most of the egg is cooked (or use the spatula to break through the center a bit in places to allow the uncooked egg to flow through).
- Put the pan under the broiler (covering the handle with foil if it is not metal). Let it broil 3-5 minutes or until all the egg is cooked and the top is browned.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top along with optional garnishes, if using, and serve.
Other Easy Chicken Recipes to Try:
- 20 Minute Mediterranean Chicken Pesto Pasta Recipe
- Soy Sriracha Marinated Chicken
- Spicy Chicken Noodle Salad