Make flavorful chipotle spice rubbed grilled chicken and then top a salad of lettuce, black beans, corn and guacamole with it for a family friendly meal.
This post is sponsored by Foster Farms® - thank you for supporting the companies that support this site!
We love chicken at our house and all of us could happily eat it multiple times each week with no complaints. Flavorful, yet mild, it works in so many recipes - soups, salads, casseroles, baked, grilled, roasted - that it's definitely the backbone of our family's menu.
And the brand of chicken I've chosen to buy almost exclusively for many years is Foster Farms®, so you can imagine that when I was asked to create a recipe using their new line of Simple Raised and Organic options, I jumped at it.
I have been loyal to Foster Farms® regular Fresh & Natural chicken because I knew a few things about it: it's as local as we can get without driving to a farm, it's family-owned and has been around since 1939, it's American Humane Certified, and it doesn't have any sodium-type "plumping" solution added.
The recipe I ended up creating is actually two recipes! One for a delicious spiced rubbed chicken that can be eaten as is or with any side you like, and one for a black bean and corn salad that serves as a base for the grilled chicken.
Either way we are loving this for easy summer meals and I hope you will, too.
Chipotle Spice Rubbed Grilled Chicken Recipe
Some links in this article are affiliate links and if you click on them and purchase I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.
When warm weather hits, our favorite way to cook chicken is to grill it with a good spice rub. I love to grill a lot at once and refrigerate the leftovers to make salads. The smokey-grilled flavor on salads just can't be beat.
So I set out to create a homemade version of my favorite store-bought chipotle spice blend to make a spicy grilled chicken that's good on it's own or to top a southwestern salad filled with beans, corn, and topped with the best guacamole.
Chipotle Spice Rub Ingredients
This spice rub turned out SO good! You will have rub left over (unless you cook a LOT of chicken), which is great since it makes a wonderful spice for roasted or grilled potatoes and vegetables, too, adding just a bit of heat.
The main ingredient is dried ground chipotle peppers, and the remaining rub ingredients are pantry staples:
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- dried rosemary
- garlic powder
- onion powder
Marinate with Dry Rub
I'm constantly amazed how taking a few minutes to mix some spices together and rub them onto chicken 30 minutes to 1 hour before grilling is all that's needed to create a restaurant-worthy dish.
It's truly a flavor game-changer.
If using boneless chicken, you'll only need to grill about 5 minutes on each side, checking larger pieces for doneness as needed.
Pieces of chicken with bones will take longer, and will need some time over indirect heat to cook without burning the outside. We mainly stick with boneless breasts and thighs for grilling because we find it easier.
Make Corn & Black Bean Salad with Guacamole
While the chicken is amazing on it's own, using it for this mouth watering salad turns it into a one-dish dinner!
Making a southwestern-style salad with pantry frozen corn, black beans, and shredded cheese is just as easy as making the chicken, and can be done while the chicken is cooking, making this a 30-minute or less meal.
Chipotle Spice Rubbed Grilled Chicken & Salad with Guacamole, Corn & Black Beans
Chipotle Spice Rub:
- 2 tablespoons dried ground chipotle
- 1 ½ tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
Grilled Chicken & Salad:
- 6 boneless chicken thighs or 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 head romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 ½ cups cooked black beans or 1 14-ounce can
- 1 ½ cups cooked corn
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar jack, or jalapeno jack cheese
- 1 cup prepared guacamole
- salsa for serving or dressing of choice
Spice Rub Marinade:
- Prepare spice rub by mixing all the spices and seasonings together in a small bowl.
- 30 minutes to 1 hour before grilling, rub the chicken all over with the chipotle spice rub and place in refrigerator.
- Grill the chicken over medium heat, about 5-10 minutes each side, until done and juices run clear.
- Serve on it's own or slice the chicken for the salad.
Black Bean & Corn Salad:
- Prepare salad by dividing the lettuce between 4 to 6 plates.
- Evenly distribute the remaining salad ingredients, except the guacamole and salsa, on top of the lettuce (alternately, layer the salad ingredients on a large platter).
- Keep plates refrigerated while the chicken cooks and then divide the sliced chicken among the plates. Top each with a dollop of guacamole.
- Serve with salsa and tortilla chips.
Other Easy Grilled Main Dishes You May Like:
Disclosure: I received product and/or compensation for this post. As always, the opinions, thoughts, and projects are all mine and I will NEVER promote something I don't love and think you will find helpful - promise! This post also contains affiliate links and by clicking on them you help support AOC at no extra cost to you! For more info, you can read our entire disclosure page here.