This cute string art heart decoration uses a cast-off piece of wood, small nails, and embroidery floss for a simple and sweet craft that you make using items you may already have. It makes a fun valentine’s day decoration – but it’s not only for the holiday, it also works as a gift for anyone you’d like to give your “heart” to – in fact my daughter made this and gave it to me for Mother’s Day! It sits on my desk and reminds me of her everyday.
When she made it for me using an old distressed piece of wood (what can I say? she’s her mama’s daughter) I knew I’d want to share it with you since repurposing, simple, and meaningful are some of my top requirements for any handmade gift or decoration!
Here’s a list of the materials you’ll need:
- piece of distressed wood, any size (the 2 examples are 2×4 ends cut 4″ and 5-1/2″ long)
- small nails (1/2″ – 3/4″) in silver or brass
- embroidery floss in red, red-pink (example), or pink
- heart image clip art printed and cut out
Here’s the super easy steps:
- Sand edges of your wood piece, if needed, and use a piece of looped tape to hold the cut-out heart image on the wood where you’d like it.
- Hammer nails into wood around the heart starting at the top and bottom and evenly spacing the nails across from each other around the heart shape 1/2-inch apart. Hammer as straight as you can, but don’t be too worried about it – the imperfection is one of the charms of this!
- When all the nails are in place, tie the end of the embroidery floss to a nail and trim close to the knot. Then just start looping the floss around the nails.
You’ll want to make sure you go around the edge with floss in order to outline the shape. And of course taking the floss in all different directions through the heart is the fun part. Keep looping until it’s as full as you’d like before tying off, again trimming close to the knot.
I move this sweet little heart from my office to the living room on Valentine’s day – it adds just a nice pop of color – but I’m happy to have it reminding me of my lovely girl everyday in my office.
Do you have someone special who would enjoy a meaningful gift like this, too?
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables