Homemade Tomato Soup Recipe
This recipe for homemade tomato soup is easy to make and fairly quick, making it a weeknight option, plus it tastes so good you’ll never go back to soup out of a can.
- Prep Time: 5-10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 30 min
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Soups
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (or 1 TB. chopped fresh in season)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups chopped tomatoes (or 3 14-ounce cans)
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Melt the butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Blend with an immersion blender (or in batches in a blender) until smooth.
- When serving, garnish with sliced green onions, parsley, or fresh basil.
- Using the thyme and basil gives it a pizza-like flavor, leave out if you’d prefer or replace with oregano.
- You can replace 1/4 cup of the stock with orange juice for a unique, bright flavor.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 97
- Sugar: 5.6g
- Sodium: 431mg
- Fat: 5.3g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 9.2g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
Keywords: Tomatoes, Tomato Recipes, Soup, Easy Recipe, Weeknight Dinner
Other easy soups you may like:
Disclosure: affiliate links in this post will earn commission based on sales, but it doesn’t change your price. Click here to read my full disclaimer and advertising disclosure.
Subscribe & Get Simple Real Food Dinner Menus + Shopping Lists