I love my slow cooker for so many reasons – from pulled pork or roast to coq au vin and soups, meals made in the slow cooker find their way onto our menus almost weekly (check out all our slow cooker recipes here). And while I do use it more in the colder months, I’ve started using it more in warmer weather for non-oven dinners like chicken tacos.
But I adore soups in the fall and winter months. There’s something so comforting to me about a hearty, healthy, meal-in-a-bowl when it’s blustery and cold outside. I also appreciate how soups make it so easy to use my preserved food, plus that it’s such a great way to use up bits and pieces of leftovers.
So I love this easy slow cooker Sausage-Bean Soup with Spinach and Tomatoes for all these reasons, but mainly because it’s just plain delicious. And it’s even better the next day, so you can look forward to a wonderful lunch, too.
Feel free to substitute any green for the spinach in this soup – chard is wonderful and I’ve also used kale – as well as any bean that you might have (maybe what you’ve cooked and frozen?). But most of all, enjoy it!
Sausage-Bean Soup with Spinach & Tomatoes
- 1 lb. bulk Italian sausage
- 1 lg. onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 c. cooked white or pinto beans, drained (use beans from your freezer or 1-2 cans)
- 1 can (14oz) diced tomatoes (or homecanned)
- 1 can (12-140z) tomato sauce (or homecanned)
- 2 c. beef broth
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 1/2 c. dry red wine (or more water)
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne (optional)
- 4 c. fresh chopped spinach (or 10-oz pkg. frozen spinach, thawed)
- salt & pepper to taste
- grated parmesan for topping
- Crumble the sausage in a large skillet, and cook until no longer pink over medium heat. Add chopped onion and garlic and cook with sausage for a few minutes longer.
- Scrape contents of skillet into the bowl of a 4-qt or larger slow cooker. Add beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, broth, wine, herbs and cayenne, if using.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Stir spinach into soup, adding salt and pepper as needed. Cook for another hour on HIGH.
- Serve with grated parmesan.
Makes 6-8 servings
You can also follow my Pinterest Slow Cooker Dishes Board for even more slow cooker ideas!
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables