Welcome to our new series, Simple Homemade Life (SHL), that will be available on our podcast channel like usual, but also as a video on YouTube! (Of course, you can view and/or listen to both right here by scrolling down...)
We wanted to be able to show more and give options for watching, listening (or reading), plus we're focusing on a single challenge or task we have and discussing its solution. This will make the episodes shorter and more efficient, hopefully giving you inspiration, knowledge, or just a good laugh. We recorded a short announcement explaining this in a little more detail:
We hope you like this change and are as excited about it as we are!
So, in our first episode of the new format, we're out in the garden, talking about what you need to do in the middle of spring to get your vegetable garden ready for a great growing season. And there are a few garden-to-table ideas for in season produce, too, plus what you can look forward to next.
Simple Homemade Life (SHL) Video
Prefer reading? Use the PODCAST TRANSCRIPT! Click here to open in a new window and read.
Some links in this article are affiliate links and if you click on them I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.
In The Garden
Here are links to articles on the blog that deal with the garden preparation we talked about:
- Getting your soil ready: I showed a layering method for raised beds here.
- Prepping Pathways with cardboard & chips: I don't have something specific for this (yet!), but this idea is covered in vegetable garden design for easy care.
- How to start and grow seeds indoors - and then plant them.
- Planting cool weather crops under cover.
- Prepping for warm weather crops - how to plant tomatoes so they'll thrive.
Brian’s hint: If it’s still too early for you to do any of these things, install an easy watering system!
Interested in growing asparagus? Here are some growing tips.
In The Kitchen
Here are the garden-to-table recipes mentioned in the episode:
- Asparagus Quiche with Easy Press-in-Pan Crust
- Easy Canned Rhubarb Chutney
- Perfect Homemade Honey Mustard Salad Dressing
The DIY beam install (spoiler: with a disaster averted).
Thanks for watching, listening, or reading! If you like the show, you can really help us out by telling your friends, subscribing on YouTube or iTunes, and leaving us a review – that’s how others will find us too.
Missed previous episodes? You can find them here.
Disclosure: affiliate links in this post will earn commission based on sales, but it doesn't change your price. Click here to read my full disclaimer and advertising disclosure.
Make This Year's Garden A Success!