Soft 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread
An easy, soft 100% whole wheat sandwich bread with only 1 rise that will free you from buying loaves at the store!
- Prep Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 2 loaves
- Category: Bread
- 6 to 6-1/2 c. whole wheat flour (ww regular, ww bread, or white whole wheat all work great)
- 2-1/2 c. warm water (between 105-110 degrees)
- 1-1/2 TB instant active dry yeast (not rapid rise) – regular active dry yeast can be used as well
- 1/3 c. honey
- 1/3 c. oil
- 2-1/2 tsp. salt
- (1-1/2 TB. vital wheat gluten- OPTIONAL (I don’t use this anymore))
- Combine water, yeast and 2 cups of the flour in a mixing bowl. Set aside to sponge for 15-20 minutes, until risen and bubbly (warmer weather takes 15 min, cooler temps usually needs 20).
- Add honey, oil, salt, (gluten, if using), and 4 cups of flour. Mix until dough starts to clean sides of bowl. Change to dough hook (or turn out to knead by hand), and knead 6 to 7 minutes (10 by hand). Add only a few tablespoons of flour at a time if dough sticks to sides, being careful not to add too much.
- Form into two loaves and place in greased 9×5″ pans. Allow to rise in a warm place for about 60 minutes, or 15-30 min. longer if needed to reach 1/2 to 1-inch above pans (i.e., cold kitchens may need the longer time). Preheat oven to 350 degrees ten minutes before rising time is done.
- Bake for 30 minutes, rotating halfway through if needed.
- Immediately remove from pans to cool on a rack. Allow to completely cool before slicing.
Click to go back to page 1 & the tutorial
More bread recipes you might like:
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links and by clicking on them you help support AOC at no extra cost to you – thanks so much! Plus you can trust I’ll only share what I love. (You can always read our entire disclosure page here.)