Soft 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread
An easy, soft 100% whole wheat sandwich bread with only 1 rise that will free you from buying loaves at the store!
- Prep Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 2 loaves 1x
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: International
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups whole wheat flour (ww regular, ww bread, or white whole wheat all work great)
- 2–1/2 cups warm water (between 105–110 degrees)
- 1–1/2 tablespoons instant active dry yeast (not rapid rise) – regular active dry yeast can be used as well
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2–1/2 teaspoons salt
- (1-1/2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten- OPTIONAL (I don’t use this anymore))
- Combine water, yeast and 2 cups of the flour in a mixing bowl. Set aside to sponge for 15-20 minutes, until risen and bubbly (warmer weather takes 15 min, cooler temps usually needs 20).
- Add honey, oil, salt, (gluten, if using), and 4 cups of flour. Mix until dough starts to clean sides of bowl. Change to dough hook (or turn out to knead by hand), and knead 6 to 7 minutes (10 by hand). Add only a few tablespoons of flour at a time if dough sticks to sides, being careful not to add too much.
- Form into two loaves and place in greased 9×5″ pans. Allow to rise in a warm place for about 60 minutes, or 15-30 min. longer if needed to reach 1/2 to 1-inch above pans (i.e., cold kitchens may need the longer time). Preheat oven to 350 degrees ten minutes before rising time is done.
- Bake for 30 minutes, rotating halfway through if needed.
- Immediately remove from pans to cool on a rack. Allow to completely cool before slicing.*
*I usually get 12 slices from a loaf using a good serrated knife or electric knife.
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 110
- Sugar: 2.8g
- Sodium: 136mg
- Fat: 2.4g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 19.7g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: bread, sandwich, homemade, whole wheat, soft
Click to go back to page 1 & the tutorial
More bread recipes you might like:
Disclosure: affiliate links in this article will earn commission based on sales, but it doesn’t change your price. Click here to read my full disclaimer and advertising disclosure.
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables