These whole grain chocolate chip cookies are the best–truly! Chewy on the inside and crisp on the outside, it’s the only recipe you’ll need. Head over to the Simple Cookie Recipes page for more great recipe ideas!
I know I’m going out on a limb here calling these chewy whole grain chocolate chip cookies the best. There are a million chocolate chip cookie recipes out there, it seems. And it fact our family has another best chocolate chip cookie, too, since we love Great Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Cookies – but that cookie has powdered oatmeal in it (which does provide a wonderful flavor and texture…) so it might be considered an oatmeal-chocolate chip cookie, making this one a true chocolate chip cookie.
Whew, talk about a run-on sentence! What I really mean to say is, when I’m not in the mood to powder the oatmeal for the other recipe, I make this chocolate chip cookie. And while I was making them today, I decided to share it with you, even though, like I mentioned, there are a ton of chocolate chip cookie recipes out there. Why?
Because it really is the best recipe for a regular chocolate chip cookie!
They are crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside (as long as you don’t overcook them…), with a perfect texture and appearance.
See these cookies on the rack? They are just out of the oven, and many people would say these are not cooked- but if you leave them in the oven longer, they will be overcooked and crisp without any chewiness. Trust me on this- take them out of the oven! They continue to “cook” as they cool down and will look like the other photos when no longer hot.
Oh, and you don’t have to make these whole grain, you can use only regular all-purpose flour or even half whole wheat and half all-purpose – but these are a great way to get some of those good whole grains in and it really only makes them better, I think!
If you don’t already have a favorite recipe, you’ll want to try this one- and even if you do, you just might find a new favorite!Print
The Best Chewy Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Cookie
Crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside, these are the BEST chocolate chip cookies with a perfect texture and appearance that everyone will rave about!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 8 mins
- Total Time: 23 mins
- Yield: Makes about 3 dozen. 1x
- 1 c. butter, softened
- 1 c. packed brown sugar
- 1/2 c. white sugar
- 1 Tb. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 3 c. whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose, or 1/2 regular whole wheat)
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 12-oz. (2 cups) semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1 c. chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add the vanilla and eggs and mix well.
- Add the flour, soda, and salt and blend together before adding the chocolate chips (and nuts, if using). Mix everything together well.
- Using a baking sheet lined with silicone or parchment and a 1-1/2″ cookie scoop, drop the dough on the sheet leaving a couple inches between each cookie. Press down lightly with fingers to flatten the cookies (this helps the cookies get a nice, round shape because they don’t spread much on their own).
- Bake 8 minutes- DO NOT OVERBAKE. They will not look done, but will continue to “cook” as they cool. Let sit for a few minutes on the sheet to set a bit before transferring to a rack to finish cooling.
These freeze wonderfully if placed in airtight containers or freezer baggies immediately after cooling. When thawed a few seconds in the microwave later, it’s like cookies fresh from the oven again!
Need more soft & chewy cookie recipes?
Fudgy Grain Free Chocolate Truffle Cookies (grain-free, dairy-free)
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables