Do you guys get into football (or other televised sports)? Other than cheering on our alma mater (the University of Oregon), I can usually take it or leave it. Meaning, I won’t turn it on, but if it’s on I’ll watch it.
Since Brian (and my brother) really like it, I’ve gotten used to football and actually enjoy watching games with him. In fact I’ve heard the game calling for so much of my life in the background that I recently told Brian that I kinda find it soothing.
Even as I write that I know it sounds
odd weird. But Sunday fall afternoons reading the paper with a game on is now just comforting to me.
What’s more comforting, though, is watching a big game with a warm, comforting, cheesy chicken artichoke skillet dip with toasted bread! Add a plate of cut vegetables, and you’ve even got dinner taken care of in a fun way, right?
Cheesy Chicken Artichoke Skillet Dip Recipe
Since the goal is to watch the game for most people, this is a super easy dip takes just a few minutes to put together with precooked chicken so it’s ready to eat after 20 minutes in the oven.
You can use any cheese you have, too, which will change up the flavor for more options. I used both a white cheddar and Dubliner (a sharper cheese) for this version.
Using all sharp cheddar makes the dip more yellow and our favorite new cheese – an aged Havarti – gave it a wonderful, stronger flavor.
Of course all this talk about football and other sports games doesn’t mean that you can only make this for big games.
Any time you want a hearty, filling dip for an event or celebration – like Christmas, New Year’s, family game nights, etc. – this may just be your new go-to recipe!
Wait – I don’t think I talked enough about how good this is!
Our family devoured it and my daughter kept saying, “Mom, this is good!” I’ve served this with tortilla chips for a gluten free option, with Triscuits crackers, and with toasted easy homemade baguettes – and this cheesy chicken dip was good with it all.
Cheesy Chicken Artichoke Skillet Dip
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cooked chicken diced (about 1/2 to 3/4 pound)*
- 1/3 cup chicken broth divided
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, water-packed chopped (about 1 cup)**
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheese divided (your choice or combo of sharp cheddar, gouda, gruyere, aged Havarti, parmesan, or other flavorful cheese)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a 10-inch cast iron skillet, or other oven-proof skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion,garlic, salt, pepper, and basil; cook about 5 minutes, stirring only once (you want some browning).
- Add half of the chicken broth and cook another 1-2 minutes, until the onions are soft.
- Stir in the remaining broth, chicken, artichokes, sour cream, and half of the cheese. Spread smooth & top with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake 18-20 minutes until cheese is bubbly. Serve hot with bread, crackers, and/or chips.
Looking for other recipes like this?
Subscribe & Get Simple Real Food Dinner Menus + Shopping Lists