In just a few minutes you can have this delicious cheesy chicken artichoke skillet dip ready to serve with bread, chips, or crackers – and then watch it disappear. Perfect for game days, parties, and holidays – or just a fun appetizer dinner.
Note: This recipe also includes a slow cooker cooking option!
If there’s something that seems pretty universal, it’s a love of gooey, cheesy, warm dips to go with a hunk of good bread – or crackers, or chips if that’s your thing. The dip, though, is almost everyone’s “thing.”
Whenever I serve this warm and cheesy chicken artichoke skillet dip, it disappears almost before the other things. It just seems to draw people.
I like to serve this dip for holidays, potlucks, and – my favorite – as part of a game day appetizer spread.
I grew up with a brother who was a sports fanatic and Brian really likes football, so even though I’m not a huge fan, I’ve gotten used to football and enjoy watching the games. In fact I’ve heard game calling in the background for so much of my life that I told Brian that now I kind of find it soothing.
Even as I write that I know it sounds
odd weird. But Sunday fall afternoons reading the Sunday paper with a game on is now just comforting to me.
What’s more comforting, though, is watching a game along with this warm, delicious, chicken artichoke skillet dip! It can be part of a larger spread, or served on its own with a plate of cut vegetables.
In fact, this dip and vegetables or a salad would make an easy and fun dinner any night of the week. Who says dips are only for parties?
Cheesy Chicken Artichoke Skillet Dip Recipe
The ingredients are super simple and could be things you have in your freezer and panty, especially if you make rotisserie chicken (or buy it) and keep stashes of cooked chicken in your freezer.
- cooked chicken
- canned or frozen artichoke hearts
- olive oil
- seasonings: dried basil, salt, pepper
- chicken broth
- sour cream
What kind of cheese can you use?
You can use any cheese you have on hand, which will change up the flavor for more variety. I used two kinds – a white cheddar and Dubliner (a sharper cheese) for the version pictured.
I’ve also made this using all sharp cheddar, which makes the dip more yellow. And when I made it with a favorite new cheese – an aged Havarti – it gave it a wonderful, stronger flavor.
Experiment with different cheeses to see what you like best.
Since the goal with appetizers is usually to watch a game or be a part of a gathering, this super easy dip is your friend. It takes just a few minutes to put together with precooked chicken, and then it’s ready to eat after 20 minutes in the oven.
Do I have to use a cast iron skillet?
It’s quick and easy – you saute the vegetables, mix up the dip, and bake all in the same pan! In addition, cast iron holds heat for longer than stainless, keeping the dish warm at the table.
Plus, since I figured out how to clean and care for cast iron (finally!), it’s my go-to pan.
That said, you can use any oven-proof skillet for this recipe.
Can this dip be made in a slow cooker?
Yes! It’s easily adapted to that, though you will have to brown the onions and spices first in a skillet. Mix all the ingredients except the topping cheese and spread in the bowl of a slow cooker. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
Cover and cook on LOW for 2-3 hours, or until warmed through and cheese is melted. You can then keep the slow cooker on the WARM setting (if you have it) for a party.
Wait – I don’t think I talked enough about how good this dip is.
Every time I make it our family devours it, and the first time I made it my daughter kept saying, “Mom, this is good!” There’s not often leftovers of this!
What to serve with chicken artichoke dip?
I’ve served this dip with tortilla chips for a gluten free option, with Triscuits and other crackers, and with the toasted easy homemade baguettes shown here – and this cheesy dip was good with it all.
I think it would be amazing with sourdough artisan bread, too, don’t you?
Cheesy Chicken Artichoke Skillet Dip
- Cast Iron Skillet
- Slow Cooker option
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cooked chicken diced (about 1/2 to 3/4 pound)*
- 1/3 cup chicken broth divided
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, water-packed chopped (about 1 cup)**
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheese divided (your choice or combo of sharp cheddar, gouda, gruyere, aged Havarti, parmesan, or other flavorful cheese)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. (Or use slow cooker option in the Notes.)
- In a 10-inch cast iron skillet, or other oven-proof skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion,garlic, salt, pepper, and basil; cook about 5 minutes, stirring only once (you want some browning).
- Add half of the chicken broth and cook another 1-2 minutes, until the onions are soft.
- Stir in the remaining broth, chicken, artichokes, sour cream, and half of the cheese. Spread smooth & top with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake 18-20 minutes until cheese is bubbly. Serve hot with bread, crackers, and/or chips.
- Brown the onions and spices first in a skillet.
- Mix all the remaining ingredients, except half the cheese for topping, in the skillet and then spread in the bowl of a slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 2-3 hours, or until warmed through and cheese is melted.
- You can then keep the slow cooker on the WARM setting (if you have it) for a party.
More quick and easy dips to try:
This recipe has been updated – it was originally published in January of 2016.
Simple Real Food Dinner Menus + Shopping Lists