Do you guys get into football (or other televised sports)? Other than cheering on our alma mater (University of Oregon), I can take it or leave it. Meaning, I won’t turn it on, but if it’s on I’ll watch it sometimes. Since Brian (and my brother), really like it, I’ve gotten used to football and actually enjoy watching some of the games with him. In fact I’ve heard the game-calling for so much of my life in the background that I recently told Brian that I kinda find it soothing. Even as I write that I know it sounds
odd weird. But Sunday afternoons reading the paper with a game on = comforting to me.
Even better, though, is watching a big game with a warm, comforting, cheesy chicken artichoke skillet dip! Add some toasted bread, a plate of cut vegetables, and you’ve got dinner taken care of – in a fun way, right?
And since the goal is to watch the game, this is a super easy dip that takes just a few minutes to put together with precooked chicken and is ready to eat after 20 minutes in the oven. You can use any cheese you have, too, which will change up the flavor for more options. I used both a white cheddar and Dubliner (a sharper cheese) for this version. Using all sharp cheddar makes it more yellow and our favorite new cheese – an aged Havarti – gave it a wonderful, stronger flavor.
Of course all this talk about football and other sports games doesn’t mean that you can only make this for big games. Any time you want a hearty, filling dip for an event or celebration – like Christmas, New Year’s, family game nights, etc. – this may just be your new go-to recipe!
Oh, I don’t think I talked enough about how good this is! Our family devoured it and my daughter kept saying, “Mom, this is good!” I served it with tortilla chips for a gluten free option, and also with Triscuits – and this was good with it all.Print
Cheesy Chicken Artichoke Skillet Dip
Take a few minutes to make this dip tonight, serve it with toasted bread or crackers, and watch it disappear.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- 1 TB. olive oil
- 1 lg. onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. each salt & pepper
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 c. diced, cooked chicken (1/2–3/4 lb.)*
- 1/3 c. chicken broth, divided
- 1 can water-packed artichoke hearts, chopped (about 1 c. chopped)**
- 3/4 c. sour cream
- 2 c. shredded cheese, divided (your choice – or combo – of sharp cheddar, gouda, gruyere, aged Havarti, parmesan, or other flavorful cheese)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a 10-inch cast iron skillet, or other oven-proof skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion,garlic, salt, pepper, and basil; cook about 5 minutes, stirring only once (you want some browning).
- Add half of the chicken broth and cook another 1-2 minutes, until the onions are soft.
- Stir in the remaining broth, chicken, artichokes, sour cream, and half of the cheese. Spread smooth & top with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake 18-20 minutes until cheese is bubbly. Serve hot with bread, crackers, and/or chips.
*To use uncooked chicken, brown diced chicken in the skillet first in oil and remove to a plate before continuing with the recipe.
**Or use frozen artichokes to equal 1 c. chopped.
Looking for other recipes like this?
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables