Make this delicious feta dip and dressing recipe, controlling the ingredients and flavor (hint: more feta!) while saving money over store-bought.
Those familiar with AOC knows that feta is one of our family’s favorite cheeses, making a feta dip – that easily becomes a dressing with more milk – a no-brainer pantry basic for us. (Here’s some proof of our feta obsession: Cranberry-Feta Chicken Salad, Salmon & Vegetable Frittata with Feta Sauce, Shaved Cabbage Salad with Feta Vinaigrette, Zucchini-Feta Fritters with Lime…I could go on, but I’m sure you get the idea!)
I think this feta dip recipe will become a basic for you, too, once you see how easy it is to make and how delicious it is – especially with vegetables like broccoli and sweet peppers, my two favorite veggies to combine with feta dip.
Years ago my sister-in-law introduced us to Toby’s Feta Dressing & Dip, a local Eugene company that creates refrigerated products. We fell in love with it and it became one of our favorite splurges. At $5.00+ a jar, it didn’t happen very often, though.
Then I looked at the ingredients (I know, I should’ve done it sooner!) to see if I could replicate it at home and I was surprised to find it was exactly the same as another Toby’s flavor – Ranch – except for the feta.
Hmm, I make a Ranch Dressing & Dip recipe that we love, so I went ahead and added feta to it to see- and guess what? It was really good – and tasted a lot like the store-bought version…for a lot less. Always a good thing, right?
I have since refined this recipe even more, adding Greek yogurt along with sour cream for a thicker dip product, that’s still easily thinned to use as a sauce or dressing. And I like it even more – I prefer this versus the mayo base I can taste in store-bought versions. And everyone gobbles it up, so It’s obvious this is a keeper!
Of course we love this as a dip with vegetables, crackers, or chips, but another good way to have this is to thin it a bit and drizzle it over lettuce-and-chicken-stuffed whole wheat pita…whoa – so good!
Creamy Feta Dip & Dressing
- 3/4 cup sour cream decrease by 1/4 c. for dressing
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt or regular yogurt*
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley or 3 tablespoons chopped fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill or 1 teaspoon fresh optional
- ⅓ to ½ cup buttermilk add 1 teaspoon vinegar to milk to equal the amount needed if you can't find real [ no fillers] buttermilk
- ¾ to 1 cup crumbled feta cheese or to taste- more is better
- Combine sour cream, yogurt, lemon juice and all ingredients except buttermilk and feta in a pint jar or quart sized bowl and mix well.
- Add the buttermilk slowly, stirring until desired thickness is reached (see note to thin for a dressing). Fold in the feta. If using a bowl, transfer to a jar with a lid.
- Refrigerate one or more hours before using, and taste to adjust seasonings again.
- Shake well before each use. This tends to get thinner as it sits in the fridge- I just add a bit more sour cream, salt & pepper if I'd like it thicker.
Other dips or dressings you may like:
Here are more dip recipes you may like:
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables