There are two things I’ve known for years that our son loves: tortellini and my homemade ‘secret ingredient’ pesto sauce. Okay, there’s actually a lot more than that (maple-mustard chicken, decadent chocolate chip walnut pie, etc.), but tortellini is not something I make by hand (hello?), so we don’t have it as much as I’m sure he would like. Which is why I was so excited by the opportunity to create a recipe using Barilla Tortellini that I could make for him while he is home on Winter Break from college. You know, just to try and accumulate more of those mom points.
I knew exactly what I’d create with the tortellini, too – a fun and easy dish using a rendition of my creamy pesto sauce from this recipe with the addition of red peppers and green parsley for a little holiday spin.
I love the simple ingredients in dishes like this – pesto, cream, red pepper and the Barilla Tortellini. The only problem? When I went to Safeway to purchase the tortellini, I found they had two varieties – three cheese and spinach & cheese – and both sounded so good. The solution of course was to just bring both home, right? I made this dish with the cheese & spinach flavor and it was such a hit that I’m scheduling it again on our menu with the three cheese variety.
Oh yeah, I’m getting points all right – he’s getting it not once, but twice during the school break!
It’s pretty easy to add holiday color to your main dishes with savory items like red peppers, parsley, and parmesan cheese. The bonus is that they add incredible flavors, too – I love cooking with these ingredients.
Holiday Creamy Pesto Tortellini with Red Peppers is a perfect go-to dish for this busy season – easy and quick to put together, yet colorful and tasty enough to serve to guests for a relaxing meal with a salad, a good bottle of wine and some great conversation.
And right now it’s even a money saver with Safeway brand stores in-store promotion coupon of $.75 off the purchase of ONE (1) package of Barilla® Tortellini. Oh, and you’ll want to follow Barilla on Facebook to be sure not to miss any future deals!
Creamy Pesto Tortellini with Red Peppers
- 1 12-oz. package Barilla Tortellini
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 Tb. olive oil
- 1 Tb. flour
- 1 c. whipping cream
- 8 oz. prepared pesto (about a cup, preferably homemade)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: chopped parsley, freshly grated parmesan
- Start a large pot of water to boil and cook tortellini according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan and add diced red peppers. Cook until softened a bit, about 4-5 minutes. Sprinkle with flour, stir to incorporate and immediately pour cream over peppers, stirring until it thickens a bit.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add prepared pesto. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes more. Season to taste.
- Add cooked, drained tortellini to the sauce and mix to coat everything well.
- Transfer pasta to a serving dish and top with parsley and parmesan, if desired.
Makes 4 servings
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables