Got 15 minutes? You can feed your family this delicious Italian sausage soup from the Eat at Home Tonight cookbook. Add bread for a one-pot meal perfect for busy fall weeknights!
Some links in this article are affiliate links and if you click on them I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.
I’m so excited to bring you this recipe from the new Eat At Home Tonight cookbook by Tiffany King of Eat At Home. I’ve known Tiffany for years through blogging and she has consistently produced real meal solutions for busy families just like hers. So I was pretty sure that her cookbook would be just as useful for getting meals on the table – and I was right!
I was able to get an early copy so I could try out the recipes and give an honest review – which is pretty easy to do because I think you’ll love this cookbook! If you listened to our podcast on cookbooks, Are Cookbooks Still Needed?, you know I’ve pared down my cookbooks over the years to just the ones I really use. I can already tell that this cookbook will join my most-used shelf.
To be honest, I really didn’t know what to expect – would the recipes be healthy and use real food ingredients? I’m happy to say yes. Not only that, each recipe comes with an introduction that helps you get to know Tiffany and her family (they are real-life) and understand the recipe. I actually sat down and read it like a book when I got it!
But the chapters are what really sold me. How is this for useful and real life:
- I Only Have 15 Minutes Tonight
- My Refrigerator is Empty Tonight
- I’m Out of the House and Won’t Have Time to Cook Tonight (oh, yes you do with this book!)
- I Want to Cook for Tonight and Tomorrow
- We Can’t Sit Down to a Meal Tonight
And more actual situations we find ourselves in all the time no matter what stage of life we’re in. I’m all about useful and easy, so this book is right up my alley.
Okay, now about this soup. I was thrilled that I was given permission to share this with you since it’s hearty, healthy, and satisfying – and ready to eat in just 15-20 minutes!
I’ve been on a mission for years to let people know that soup is one of the easiest things to make from scratch – you most definitely do NOT need canned soups – and this recipe proves it, along with my own recipes for Quick Curried Red Lentil Soup, Homemade Tomato Soup, and Amazing Cauliflower Cheese Soup to name a few.
Rustic Italian Sausage Soup from Eat At Home Tonight
One of the great things about the recipes in Eat At Home Tonight is that they mostly use pantry ingredients that we usually have. The recipes are also easily adaptable to personal tastes and what you actually have on hand. My ingredient changes for this are a good example:
- I couldn’t find the sausage I though I had, so I used ground pork that had come in our recent Butcher Box delivery.
- I don’t usually have cans of broth – I keep chicken and turkey bone broth in the freezer and Better Than Bullion jars in the fridge
- I used the beans I had – a Tri-blend and Cannellini.
- Lastly, while I did have some frozen kale I could’ve used, I needed to use up this fresh spinach. I often switch kale and spinach in soups – they are both similar in this application.
- I had two small onions from the garden which I figured equalled one regular onion. It’s not really a substitution, but I wanted to mention it so you can see that I’ve harvested a few things from our half-finished farmhouse garden!
The cookbook has one recipe per page, often with a full sized photo (the photos are all in color – my copy was an early proof so some photos were published in black and white). Each of the chapters have between 5 and 14 recipes, with 101 total, so there are plenty of meal-time solutions for everyone.
Making this Italian sausage soup couldn’t be simpler: once you brown the meat it’s simply a matter of dumping all the remaining ingredients in the soup pot (except the cheese for topping).
You can then just heat through for 5 minutes or let it simmer a bit longer if you have the time.
Top with parmesan, serve with bread and you’ve got dinner tonight! This is so flavorful, no one will ever guess it was made so fast.
Click the arrow for the full Rustic Italian Sausage Soup recipe (with print options)!
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables