Easy Sourdough Artisan Bread Recipe
An easy artisan sourdough bread that is mixed up in the morning and baked in an enamel pot for a perfect crust and chewy interior.
- Prep Time: 10 min + rising
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 4-6 hours
- Yield: 1 loaf 1x
- Category: Breads
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 3 cups flour (white whole wheat, whole wheat, unbleached, or a combo)
- 1–1/4 cups warm water (may need less if your starter is “wetter”- mine is a 100% hydration starter, fed an equal ratio of flour to water)
- 3/4 cup active sourdough starter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1–1/2 teaspoons salt
- Mix all ingredients together in the bowl of a stand mixer (or large mixing bowl) just until combined and then let sit for 15 minutes.
- Using a dough hook, knead for 5 minutes. If making by hand, knead for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a medium-sized bowl, lightly coated with oil. Cover with plastic and let rise for 3 hours, turning and folding the dough once or twice.
- Remove dough, turn and fold again, and place it back in the bowl, seam-side up. Let rise for another 2 hours.
- After the second rise, place a square of parchment on a cookie sheet and gently shape the dough into a ball or oval (using lots of flour, as the dough is moist) and set on the parchment. Make sure there’s a good coating of flour on the top, as this will make slicing the top later easier.
- Set an enameled, cast iron dutch oven into a cold oven and turn heat to 450 degrees (alternately, you can use a baking stone), and set the timer for 40 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, slash the top of the loaf with a serrated knife (in 2-3 places) and transfer it to the hot pot by holding the edges of the parchment (or stone).
- Replace the hot lid and bake for 12-15 minutes. Remove the lid and continue baking for another 13-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool at least 30 minutes before cutting.
Slicing tip: if you don’t have a good serrated knife, try using an electric knife to easily slice through crusty artisan bread. I works like a charm and even cuts through warm breads without squishing the crusts like regular knives do.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 119
- Sugar: 1.5g
- Sodium: 195mg
- Fat: 0.3g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 25.5g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Protein: 3.2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: artisan, bread, sourdough, homemade, easy
Looking for more sourdough bread recipes & ways to use your starter?
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links and by clicking on them you help support AOC at no extra cost to you – thanks so much! Plus you can trust I’ll only share what I love. (You can always read our entire disclosure page here.)
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables