These fudgy, dark chocolate zucchini cookies are so moist and good, you’d never guess they included a vegetable – but don’t include eggs! Check out our other great cookies on the Simple Cookie Recipes page.
Note: This recipe has been updated as of 10/16/14 after several comments about cookies not turning out. I made several more test batches and realized that melting the chocolate chips with the butter results in a more consistent fudgy cookie that spreads. I also reduced the amount of whole wheat pastry flour a couple tablespoons. These changes will ensure that your cookies will turn out like the cookies pictured!
I hope you have some zucchini left to make these incredible cookies! If not, you’ll want to pin (click here to pin), print, or somehow bookmark this recipe for Fudgy Dark Chocolate Zucchini Cookies when you do, because they are so good you won’t believe it: full of dark chocolate fudgy goodness.
You may see the zucchini, but no one would guess it was an ingredient otherwise. The grated zucchini adds just the right amount of moisture and combined with the absence of eggs (yes, a really good eggless cookie!) is what helps them tip the scales toward fudge vs. cake in texture. I have found that I need to grate the zucchini finely and even chop it up a bit after, so that it’s less noticeable for those who think zucchini in cookies is weird (imagine!).
And you might have guessed by my description of these cookies that my favorite cookies in general are those that are moist, fudgy and chewy. Score on all three points!
Fudgy Dark Chocolate Zucchini Cookies
A moist, fudgy and only slightly sweet chocolate cookie.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 16 mins
- Total Time: 31 mins
- Yield: 20-24 cookies
- Category: Whole Grain, Eggless Cookie
- 1/2 c. shredded zucchini (finely shred onto a towel to soak extra moisture while proceeding with the recipe)
- 1/3 c. butter
- 1/2 c. dark chocolate chips (or semi-sweet), plus extra for tops
- 1/2 c. cocoa powder
- 1/3 c. granulated sugar
- 1/3 c. brown sugar
- 1/3 c. yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 c. + 2 Tb. whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt (omit if using salted butter!)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and grease a large cookie sheet (or line with parchment).
- Melt butter and chocolate chips in microwave or saucepan just until melted, whisking to smooth.
- Stir in both sugars and cocoa powder until combined.
- Add yogurt (or sour cream) and vanilla.
- Mix in flour, soda, and salt, if using, until smooth and then add the zucchini, stirring until incorporated (mixture will be thick).
- Using a tablespoon-sized cookie scoop, drop onto prepared cookie sheet. Add a few chocolate chips to the top of each cookie, pressing slightly as you do.
- Bake for 8 minutes only. Let cool on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container or freeze for longer storage.
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables