These fudgy, dark chocolate zucchini cookies are so moist and good, you’d never guess they included a vegetable – but don’t include eggs! Check out our other great cookies on the Simple Cookie Recipes page.
I hope you have some zucchini on hand to make these incredible cookies! If not, you’ll want to pin, print, or somehow bookmark this recipe for Fudgy Dark Chocolate Zucchini Cookies for when you do have some, because they are so good you won’t believe it: they are full of dark chocolate fudgy goodness.
I’m always looking for ways to use zucchini when it’s producing in the garden. We always look forward to our first loaf of zucchini bread and I always have to make this surprising white zucchini cake at least once. We like it savory in fritters with feta, too, but chocolate and zucchini seem to go together like salt and pepper.
More options for zucchini and chocolate is always a good thing in my book.
Fudgy Chocolate Zucchini Cookies
You may see some green from the zucchini in the cookies, but otherwise no one would think that zucchini was a major ingredient. The grated zucchini adds just the right amount of moisture and combined with the absence of eggs (yes, a really good eggless cookie!) is what helps them tip the scales toward fudge vs. cake in texture.
The other ingredients you’ll need are:
- dark chocolate chips
- cocoa powder
- white and brown sugar
- yogurt or sour cream
- pure vanilla
- whole wheat pastry flour
- baking soda and salt
The ingredients are all basic, but a few stand out – the whole wheat makes these a whole grain option, two kinds of chocolate amp up the flavor, and the yogurt or sour cream adds even more moisture.
TIP: I have found that you need to grate the zucchini finely and even chop it up a bit after, so that it’s less noticeable for those who think zucchini in cookies is weird (imagine!).
And you might have guessed by my description of these cookies that my favorite cookies in general are any that are moist, fudgy and chewy. These cookies score on all three points!
Fudgy Dark Chocolate Zucchini Cookies
A moist, fudgy and only slightly sweet chocolate cookie.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 16 mins
- Total Time: 31 mins
- Yield: 20-24 cookies 1x
- Category: Whole Grain, Eggless Cookie
- 1/2 c. shredded zucchini (finely shred onto a towel to soak extra moisture while proceeding with the recipe)
- 1/3 c. butter
- 1/2 c. dark chocolate chips (or semi-sweet), plus extra for tops
- 1/2 c. cocoa powder
- 1/3 c. granulated sugar
- 1/3 c. brown sugar
- 1/3 c. yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 c. + 2 Tb. whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt (omit if using salted butter!)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and grease a large cookie sheet (or line with parchment).
- Melt butter and chocolate chips in microwave or saucepan just until melted, whisking to smooth.
- Stir in both sugars and cocoa powder until combined.
- Add yogurt (or sour cream) and vanilla.
- Mix in flour, soda, and salt, if using, until smooth and then add the zucchini, stirring until incorporated (mixture will be thick).
- Using a tablespoon-sized cookie scoop, drop onto prepared cookie sheet. Add a few chocolate chips to the top of each cookie, pressing slightly as you do.
- Bake for 8 minutes only. Let cool on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container or freeze for longer storage.
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables