Crunchy outside, tender inside and baking to perfection, this is truly a no-fail delicious zucchini bread that just happens to be healthier with whole wheat, less oil, and less sugar. Find more great bread recipes on the Best Bread Recipes page!
One way a lot of people use up their garden zucchini is by making zucchini bread and I am no different. I have made many, many different variations of zucchini bread over the years. And while it's still fun to make variations with other flavors, this healthier whole wheat zucchini bread is the one I make every year - and the one I make sure we have in the freezer for the winter.
We love this bread so much that I know that my children wish I would only use the zucchini to make this sweet bread instead of actually trying to cook with it, ha! Ah, but I have to have some zucchini feta fritters, and this skillet saute with corn and tomatoes - not to mention these zucchini boats with sausage and corn. Yum.
No Fail Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread
Some of the recipes I've made include zucchini breads with pear or orange, and one with the addition of sour cream (which didn't work - way too goopy).
But when I want a reliable, perfect loaf that turns out every time I always come back to my adaptation of the very first recipe I ever made with zucchini: "Zucchini Nut Loaf" from my 1981 edition of the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook (not so new anymore, ha!).
Why? Probably because of the crunchy crust with a tender and moist inside which makes it so yummy.
But there's also the fact that it's a pretty healthy bread, too, using only 1/4 cup of oil for each loaf (that's right - only 1/4 cup so it's never oily like some can be) and I adapted it to use all whole wheat flour and less sugar. In fact, I've actually cut the sugar by half - and have not noticed a difference, since it's still plenty sweet.
This easy loaf also bakes to perfection and never is gooey or soggy in the middle. Yes, it is truly a never-fail zucchini bread.
This is fun to make into small loaves as well as regular loaves, which are great for gifting to others - since we all know if you grow zucchini you will be making a lot of bread.
So for those of you like me who want a consistently good (as in every time - I promise) loaf of healthy zucchini bread, I'm sharing my favorite, all-time, go-to recipe for a pretty perfect zucchini bread.
No Fail Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread
- 1/2 cup brown sugar cane sugar and coconut sugar work, too
- 1 ½ cup shredded zucchini
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup oil light olive, melted coconut, expeller pressed sunflower or walnut oils work
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts totally optional, but we love it with walnuts
- sugar-cinnamon mixture or plain sugar, to dust pans (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter or oil a 8"x 4" loaf pan and coat with a teaspoon of sugar-cinnamon; tap out any excess sugar (while it's optional, this makes the loaf really good - trust me).
- In a mixing bowl beat together the sugar, zucchini, and egg. Add oil and vanilla; mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir. Fold in the nuts, if using.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle the top with a little raw sugar for more crunch, if desired. Bake for 45-50 minutes*, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on a rack.
- Add 3/4 cup chocolate chips at the same time as the nuts (or instead of the nuts).
Other Zucchini Recipes You may Like
Note: Originally published in 2009, this recipe has been updated with new photos and printable recipe.