A spicy-sweet Asian condiment, homemade sweet honey chili sauce is easily made with dried chilis and sweetened only with honey.
Want to save this?
Enter your email below and you'll get it straight to your inbox. Plus you'll get easy new recipes, gardening tips & more every week!
Some links in this article are affiliate links and if you click on them I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.
I've always loved, loved, loved Asian sweet chili sauce - it's my favorite thing to top Chicken-Lime Lettuce Wraps, Stir-Fry Vegetables, grilled chicken, and much more as I'm sure you could guess. However, I've often felt a tad guilty because sugar is the first ingredient (hello, that's probably why I like it!), so I wouldn't buy it very often. But then I'd be missing it. Ugh - the thought processes of healthy eating, right?
Sweet Honey Chili Sauce
The other day I was creating a new slow cooker recipe to share with you (this yummy bowl using chicken and our frozen, unblanched green beans) and I needed sweet chili sauce to add to the other Thai-like flavors I had going on (fish sauce and lime juice...).
Of course I didn't have any. I hit the internet and discovered how easy it is to make homemade sweet chili sauce - and to be in control of the sugar content and use only a natural sweetener. Score!
I didn't have any fresh chilies, so I adapted this recipe to use dried chili flakes and to be sweetened with only honey - and just 1/3 cup in the whole batch!
The result is still a spicy-sweet concoction, but now I can have it whenever I want–especially because it only takes about 5 minutes to make. Really!
It's less expensive with the dried chilis, too. Win-win.
So, to recap: this homemade sweet chili sauce is quicker to make than store bought, cheaper to make and easily made healthier–that's the kind of pantry basic recipe I love.
Where to Buy Chili Flakes
Some have asked where to get the dried chili flakes - here are a couple places to check out:
- Amazon has a good price here for McCormicks.
- And this is a great price for 1 lb. of organic chili flakes if you use a lot like we do.
- You can also find them at Costco and in smaller jars at regular grocery stores spice aisles.
More Easy Homemade Condiments
Sweet Honey Chili Sauce Made with Dried Chili Flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried chili flakes*
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic about 3 large cloves
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons water divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon potato starch or organic cornstarch**
- Add chili flakes, garlic, vinegar, honey, 3/4 c. water, and salt to a small saucepan and bring to a boil over med-high heat. Boil for a minute at medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Mix the potato starch with the remaining water and add to the sauce, stirring over medium heat until thickened - about another minute or two.
- Remove from heat, cool thoroughly and transfer to a container to store in the fridge (the sauce keeps for a couple of weeks, if it lasts that long...). Reused glass dressing bottles or canning jars both work well.