This recipe for long-cooked green beans with onion and bacon is one of our family’s favorite winter side dishes and I love that it uses our garden green beans that I freeze each year to use all winter long. While summer is time to quick-cook green beans by grilling or sautéing with tomatoes, winter is for using our garden beans in soups, stews, casseroles and long-cooked like this recipe.
One of AOC’s most popular posts (and videos) is how – and why – to freeze green beans without blanching them first. I’m not surprised, since preserving green beans this way is super easy and results in a better product, in my opinion (and many others) even if it bucks the “expert” advice. While I’ve gotten lots of questions on this post (300+ comments!) over the years by far the most common question I get is “how do you cook with them?”
So I thought I’d start sharing some of the ways I cook with our frozen green beans, beginning with this recipe. I also have a number of other recipes that use frozen green beans, too:
- Thai Inspired Turkey or Chicken Vegetable Curry
- Cheesy Crust Ham Pie
- Slow Cooker Sweet Chili Chicken Vegetables
- Slow Cooker Chicken Dinner
- Slow Cooker Italian Sausage Vegetable Soup
- Italian Vegetable Beef Soup
- Quick Bone Broth Chicken & Vegetable Soup
The simple ingredients for this recipe to make long cooked green beans include the frozen beans (a quart or 16oz. bag), bacon, onion, a bit of chicken broth, salt and pepper. I also usually add red pepper flakes, since we’re fans of spicy around here. And while I call this recipe ‘long-cooked’ they’re really only cooked 15-20 minutes, but that’s long compared to the 4-6 minutes we cook our fresh beans!
The bacon is cooked a bit first, but then it’s just a matter of throwing everything else in the the pot and letting it cook. Best kind of recipe, right? Well, that and that it tastes good – and this delivers.Print
Long-Cooked Green Beans with Onions & Bacon
A great way to use frozen green beans, this is a comforting, delicious side dish.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 lb. frozen green beans (or 1 qt. bag)
- 1/4 c. chicken broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- Optional Ingredients:**
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1–2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Cook bacon in a large saucepan or deep skillet over med-high heat until almost cooked; add onion and cook another minute.
- Add frozen green beans, chicken broth, and seasonings. Cover and bring to a boil, lower heat to med-low and cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until desired doneness.
- Optional: Remove cover & raise heat to medium to evaporate some of the liquid (I don’t usually bother).
**It’s easy to change this recipe up by adding different vegetables like peppers, adding garlic and omitting bacon.
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables