Since it seems most people did their “Top 10” lists last week, I realize I’m a bit late to the game. But the first week of January’s not too late, is it?
Obviously I’ve decided it isn’t, so today I’m listing the Top 10 Recipes From 2010 I make all the time. Look for my Favorite 2010 DIY Projects tomorrow, and 10 Things from 2010 That Changed My Life (sounds dramatic, huh?) on Friday.
One of the goals I have for 2011 is creating a recipe index. Believe it or not, I’ve already started this project (what??) and when I was looking through the recipes I posted this last year, I couldn’t help producing this list of the recipes I love and make all the time:
1. Homemade Vinaigrette. This earns the top spot just because we use it almost daily. At it’s most basic, it’s just three ingredients: oil, vinegar, and Dijon mustard. But use rice vinegar and add a splash of soy sauce and it’s ready for an Asian slaw. Add a bit of cumin and cayenne and it can top a salad of black beans, tomato, and cheese. Add some orange juice and balsamic vinegar and it tops cranberry-feta salad. Try it with Italian seasonings and fresh garlic. And it goes on and on…the varieties are endless.
Do I need to mention how frugal and in control of the ingredients you are when you make your own dressings?
I thought not.
2. Pesto (with a secret, frugal, ingredient). I’ve actually been making this for years, but just posted it this last year, so I believes it qualifies…
I made and froze 22 small jars of pesto this last summer and fall, so that’s about 2 to 3 jars a month from October to June. Since we use this liberally on bread, pizza, and yummy Creamy Pesto Pasta, this is going to be a close call. We very well may run out early.
3. Quick and Tender Hamburger Buns or Breadsticks. I make these once or twice a month. And the name doesn’t lie- they are really quick and soft like buns should be.
4. Orange Almond Salad. Another salad we have often. Pretty much alternates with cranberry-feta and Greek salads in our house as I find the basic lettuce-carrot-tomato salad pretty boring.
5. “Easy Peasy” Roasted Chicken and Vegetables. Oh my goodness- how many times do we eat this? Not quite weekly, but pretty close.
6. Roasted Sausages, Peppers, and Onions. A revelation- makes you realize why sometimes the simplest things are the best.
7. Homemade Tomato Soup. A staple at our house, this is another that we’ve eaten for years, but only got posted in 2010.
9. Thai-Inspired Turkey/Chicken Curry. This has become a staple quick food in the last few years. I like that I can use leftover meat if I want and that it has the goodness of coconut milk.
10. Shrimp and Asparagus Over White Bean Puree. This is last on the list only because I don’t make it as often as the others, but it was by far my favorite new recipe of last year. I LOVE it.
Now that you know my favorite recipes, what were your favorites from last year that you make often?
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables