This Orange Almond Salad includes sweet onions, oranges, and crunchy almonds drizzled with orange-balsamic vinaigrette for a quick, unique dinner salad.
Find even more ideas on the Quick Healthy Recipes page!
Want to save this?
Enter your email below and you'll get it straight to your inbox. Plus you'll get easy new recipes, gardening tips & more every week!
Some links in this article are affiliate links and if you click on them I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.
Orange almond salad is one of my favorite salads to have during the cooler months - you can find it on our menus a couple times each month from November through May.
This salad with it's yummy orange balsamic vinaigrette and my other favorite winter salad, lettuce (or spinach) topped with dried cranberry and feta, are our staple salads during the winter months (along with cabbage slaws like Spicy Asian Slaw, Shaved Cabbage & Feta Salad or Spicy Cumin Lime Slaw, which are other great seasonal options).
During the summer there are so many good, seasonal, vegetables coming from the garden that I find I don't make these salads as much, although of course you can make them any time of the year.
This is also the only time I use *gasp* canned fruit for anything.
In fact, until a friend brought this salad to our house for a pizza night years ago, I'd never bought a can of mandarin oranges before.
But since it's just a topping for fresh vegetables and adds such a nice flavor, I make an exception for this quick and refreshing salad - plus, it's just really delicious.
There's something about the flavor combination of sweet onions, oranges and crunchy almonds topping lettuce or spinach that was so good the first time I tried it, I knew I would be making it again and again.
When I have fresh mandarin oranges - or even regular oranges - I will sometimes use them for this salad and they're equally as good. But it does take more preparation, plus I like to save the oranges for lunches and snacks, so I only use fresh oranges occasionally.
More Fruit Salads & Dressings to Try
- Cherry Salad with Feta and Walnuts
- Kale Cranberry Salad Recipe with Feta & Pecans
- Crazy Simple Strawberry Vinaigrette Recipe
Orange Almond Salad with Orange-Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 4 cups chopped lettuce or spinach
- 1 11-ounce can of mandarin oranges, drained OR 1-2 fresh oranges, cut into segments
- 1/4 cup sweet onion sliced or chopped
- 1/3 cup almonds chopped
For Orange-Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons juice from canned mandarin oranges or squeezed from fresh oranges
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Make salad by layering greens, orange segments, onions, and chopped almonds.
- Make vinaigrette by combining juice, mustard, vinegar, and olive oil in a jar with a lid and shake well until combined (or use a bowl and whisk well).
- Pour dressing over salad and serve.