A refreshing, slightly sweet and spicy cumin lime coleslaw recipe that goes with everything from grilled steaks, to pulled pork tacos, to enchiladas. Or use it as a base for a Tex-Mex flavored bowl meal with beans, chicken, pico, and guacamole.
Want to save this?
Enter your email below and you'll get it straight to your inbox. Plus you'll get easy new recipes, gardening tips & more every week!
Well, I think it's firmly established around here that I like coleslaw and prefer them dressed with light vinaigrettes (those weirdly sweet, mayo based salads are just not my thing).
All of the slaws I have in our recipe index - Caesar Slaw, Spicy Asian Slaw, and Cranberry, Walnut, & Feta Broccoli Slaw - are regularly featured on our menus. Most often in the winter when cabbage is one of the less expensive fresh vegetables to be had and also from May through August when we're harvesting our spring-planted heads.
And this spicy cumin lime coleslaw? Well, it's my current favorite that I've made three times in the last two weeks!
In that time I've found it goes equally well with dishes like grilled steak, tacos, or chicken & shrimp skewers. That's pretty versatile.
I've served it to our family once, made it for the birthday dinner I had for my brother and took it to my Dad's house for his birthday. Everybody loved it as much as I do, so that's usually my cue to share it with you guys.
Cumin Lime Coleslaw Recipe
The key, of course, is the vinaigrette. Which isn't surprising, because otherwise it would be just cabbage, right? But the real key is making the vinaigrette at least a few hours in advance, and preferably a whole day.
I found this out by accident when I mixed up the dressing early to take to my Dad's house which we weren't serving until the next day. Since I didn't want the cabbage to become all watery, I waited to mix the salad together until just before serving it.
Whoa. Flavor explosion.
Letting the garlic, lime, and sriracha meld together for a bit just intensifies the flavor so much, so definitely do it if you can. But if you didn't remember early enough? Make it anyway - it's still really, really good.
Serving Ideas for Cumin Lime Slaw
- Use as a side dish for grilled steak, grilled or baked chicken, or other protein.
- Top pulled pork or fish tacos.
- Serve alongside enchiladas, quesadillas, or tortilla casserole.
- Fill a bowl with slaw and top with beans and/or cooked chicken, pico de gallo, guacamole, and sour cream for a Tex-Mex bowl dinner.
Spicy Cumin Lime Coleslaw
- 2 limes juiced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin rounded to get slightly more
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 to 3 teaspoon Sriracha sauce or favorite hot sauce (we use 3 for a medium spiciness)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 medium head cabbage shredded
- 3 carrots peeled & shredded
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or cilantro optional
- Make dressing one day or a few hours before serving: Combine first seven ingredients (lime juice through black pepper) in a one-cup measuring glass or bowl. Add olive oil and whisk until emulsified. Place in refrigerator until serving.*
- In a large serving bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, onion and herb of choice, if using. Add the prepared dressing and toss well until everything is coated.
Adapted from a Bobby Flay recipe.
Other Salads to Try:
- Carrot Salad with Feta & Olives
- Healthy Sesame Kale Salad Recipe
- Asian Asparagus Noodle Salad - Easy 15 Minute Recipe
- Healthy Homemade Salad Dressings
Simple Real Food Dinner Menus + Shopping Lists