Well, I think it’s firmly established around here that I like slaws and I like them dressed with light vinaigrettes (those weirdly sweet, mayo based salads are just not my thing). All of the slaws I have in our recipe index – Caesar Slaw, Spicy Asian Slaw, and Cranberry, Walnut, & Feta Broccoli Slaw – are regularly featured on our menus. Most often in the winter when cabbage is one of the less expensive fresh vegetables to be had and also from May through August when we’re harvesting our spring-planted heads.
And this spicy cumin lime coleslaw? Well, it’s my current favorite that I’ve made three times in the last two weeks. In that time I’ve found it goes equally terrific with dishes like grilled steak, tacos, or chicken & shrimp skewers. That’s pretty versatile. I’ve served it to our family once, made it for the birthday dinner I had for my brother and took it to my Dad’s house for his birthday. Everybody loved it as much as I do, so that’s usually my cue to share it with you guys.
The key, of course, is the vinaigrette. Which isn’t surprising, ’cause otherwise it would be just cabbage, right? But the real key is making the vinaigrette at least a few hours in advance, but preferably a whole day. I found this out by accident when I mixed up the dressing early to take to my Dad’s house which we weren’t serving until the next day. Since I didn’t want the cabbage to become all watery, I waited to mix the salad together until just before serving it.
Whoa. Flavor explosion. Letting the garlic, lime, and sriracha meld together for a bit just intensifies the flavor so much, so definitely do it if you can. But if you didn’t remember early enough? Make it anyway – it’s still really, really good.Print
Spicy Cumin Lime Coleslaw
A refreshing, slightly sweet and spicy slaw that goes with everything from grilled steaks to pulled pork tacos.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 6-8 servings
- 2 limes, juiced (about 1/4 c.)
- 1/2 tsp. cumin (rounded to get just slightly more)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. honey
- 2-3 tsp. Sriracha, or favorite hot sauce (we use 3 for a mild-medium spiciness)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/3 c. olive oil
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded
- 3 carrots, peeled & shredded
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 Tb. chopped parsley or cilantro (optional)
- One day or a few hours before serving: Combine first seven ingredients (lime juice through black pepper) in a one-cup measuring glass or bowl. Add olive oil and whisk until emulsified. Place in refrigerator until serving.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, onion and herb of choice, if using. Add the prepared dressing and toss well until everything is coated.
Adapted from a Bobby Flay recipe.
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables