We’re doing something a little different for this episode, and dedicating the whole thing to a baking topic that everybody seems to be interested in right now: How to make sourdough bread. So we’re bringing you 5 Big Myths about sourdough (and what there’s some disagreement on), tips and how to get started, and then answering some of AOC’s readers’ most frequently asked questions. Also the recipes of course – the easy sourdough artisan bread that’s gone viral, in addition to recipes for using up your starter, and other things you can make with sourdough, like bagels and crackers. Plus, find out about some cool new discoveries, though they have nothing to do with sourdough.
You can download this episode from Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, and TuneIn Radio – or listen to it below right on your computer! Then use this page to check out any links, notes, or photos we talked about in the episode. Note: If you’re reading in a feed reader, you might have to click through to the post to see the player below.
Prefer reading? Use the PODCAST TRANSCRIPT! Click here to open in a new window and read.
Some links in this article are affiliate links and if you click on them I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.
Here’s the link to the Cook’s Illustrated article about busting sourdough myths:
I actually started my sourdough journey on this blog, so you can see all my steps, successes, and yep, even the famous “UFO” or “pig snout” bread we talked about (though you’ll have to go to the link below to see it – the more I thought about it, the more I think putting it in one place on the blog is enough, lol).
Here’s that link, plus links to my tip and how-to articles:
- Sourdough Bread? (spoiler – not)
- Sourdough Tips for the Occasional User
- How To Grow, Keep, & Use A Sourdough Starter (This has all the steps to make a starter, plus the timeframe of what to bake with it when and other tips.)
Sourdough Breads to Make
I’m listing my recipes in order from what you can make with a new starter to the bread you can make with a 4-6 week old starter:
- Whole Wheat Sourdough Crackers
- Whole Wheat Sourdough English Muffins
- Amazing Sourdough Waffles
- Sourdough Bagels
- Cheesy Sourdough Batter Bread
- Easy Sourdough Artisan Bread (having a viral moment right now!)
Look for AOC’s newest recipe coming soon: Artisan Sourdough Rolls with Everything Bagel Topping – they are so good!
Brian’s: Game Camera Update- Hom Com Trail Camera When we had a question about yet another animal on the property, this camera helped us narrow it down to…voles. Sigh.
Jami’s: Imperfect Foods – is saving my life right now. #pandemic
- Here’s where you can see the unboxing video and review I did to get an idea of how the food comes in the box.
- If you’d like to try this food box delivery, see if they deliver to your area by going to their website using my referral link to get $10 off your first box!
Thanks for listening! If you like this podcast, you can really help us out by telling your friends, subscribing on iTunes, and leaving us a review – that’s how other’s will find us too.
And if you’d like to ask a question or leave an idea for future podcasts you can call (541) 658-0215 to leave a voicemail and we’ll talk about it on the air!
Disclosure: affiliate links in this post will earn commission based on sales, but it doesn’t change your price. Click here to read my full disclaimer and advertising disclosure.