Need a 10-minute dinner idea that you can serve either cold or hot? You (and your family) will love these chicken caesar wraps made with pre-cooked chicken. This is your fall back recipe for those busy weeknights to keep out of the takeout lines!
Our family absolutely loves Caesar anything - this slaw is fabulous, and we eat this classic dressing often - so I was pretty sure that combining chicken, lettuce, parmesan and Caesar dressing was going to go over well around here.
Uh, yes, they immediately asked me when I would be making these again after the first time I made them.
Even better than that, this meal comes together quickly whether I use my Spiced Whole Slow Cooked Chicken or a store bought rotisserie chicken.
TIP: Both of these types of chicken results in leftover bags of frozen, cooked chicken that I can pull out for easy dinners like this. It's my biggest trick for those nights we need quick meals.
Plus, theses wraps can be served with the chicken either warm or cold, depending on the weather and what your family feels like.
Chicken Caesar Wraps Recipe
You only need 5 basic ingredients for this 10 minute recipe:
- cooked chicken
- tortillas (or pita, flatbread, etc.)
- caesar salad dressing
You can use this easy homemade classic caesar salad dressing or store bought (no shame around here, but do make sure it's got quality ingredients).
If you haven't tried homemade, I'm here to tell you it's easy (whir it all in a blender easy) and really good.
Mix chopped or shredded chicken with some of the dressing and parmesan, layer it on the tortillas or wrap of choice, top with shredded romaine lettuce, more dressing and cheese, and roll up.
Yep, you need this easy recipe on your go-to dinner list, right?
While these wraps are a one-dish meal easy to take to outdoor games and activities, they are just as good on a regular menu rotation, plugged in on those nights it's busy or we just don't feel like cooking (hello, 100 degree summer days).
Serving Ideas & FAQ
As written, this recipe is healthy with lean protein from chicken, a homemade real-food ingredient dressing (or the best you can buy) and lettuce. A wrap uses the equivalent of one piece of bread instead of two for sandwiches.
You can make the tortilla part healthier by using whole wheat or low carb wraps, or lose it altogether and wrap your dressed chicken in a piece of lettuce instead of shredding it inside.
It really depends on the ingredients you use and what type of diet you're following.
Ah, someone after our spicy-loving family's heart! Yes - to make this into a "spicy chicken caesar wrap," add either 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to your dressing or 2 tablespoons to 1/3 cup hot sauce to the dressing. This is obviously to taste, so start with the lower amount and increase as you'd like.
Of course - that would be yummy, too. You can use any kind of cooked chicken you like, really.
So...quick, easy, delicious and versatile? I know these will become a regular in your menu rotation, just like they are on ours!
Cook Once, Eat 2-3 Times More!
Like I mentioned, I regularly make a Slow Cooker Rotisserie-Style Whole Chicken or buy a rotisserie chicken, eat it as is for one meal, and then remove the remaining meat to package up and freeze for future meals.
Stocking your freezer with containers of pre-cooked chicken means you can make all kinds of quick and easy dinners like these:
- Mexican Chicken Corn Soup
- Chicken-Pesto Greek Style Pizza
- Or any of these 23 recipes that use cooked chicken!
Easy & Delicious Chicken Caesar Wraps
- To Make Warm Wraps:
- Shred the cooked chicken to equal about 4 cups (roughly equal to 2 breasts and and 1 thigh) and add to a medium pot.
- Stir 3/4 cup of the Caesar dressing and parmesan into the chicken and heat over medium-low heat until warmed, 5-10 minutes - usually about the time it takes to wash and shred the lettuce and prep any other meal items. (NOTE: if starting with hot chicken, simply shred and mix like the cold directions below.)
- Divide the chicken mixture evenly between the tortillas and top with a large handful of lettuce and more parmesan. Drizzle a bit more dressing over the lettuce before rolling up and cutting in half.
- To Make Cold Wraps (for picnics, lunches, and hot summer nights):
- Shred the cooked chicken to equal 4 cups and add to a medium sized bowl.
- Stir in 3/4 cup of the dressing and half the parmesan.
- Divide mixture between tortillas, top with lettuce and remaining parmesan. Drizzle with more dressing and roll up.
This recipe has been updated - it was originally published in April 2014.