This quick and delicious roll-up appetizer made with three basic ingredients and some seasonings is one of our all-time favorites and is always the first appetizer to disappear. Look for the roasted vegetable variation below, too.
If you’d like more easy real food recipes like this, be sure to head over to the Quick Healthy Recipes page.
This super easy pickled bean roll-up appetizer is probably our all-time favorite appetizer. Not only does it take about five minutes to put together, it’s also so delicious that it’s always one of the first appetizers to disappear at a party.
It’s made with just three basic ingredients (plus some seasonings) that I usually have on hand and it’s a nice low carb option for often heavy-on-the-carb appetizer party spreads. I find myself bringing these to a lot of get-togethers because of these two things.
There are actually a number of ways I fill these roll-up appetizers:
- With pickled beans that I have canned from the summer’s garden.
- They are equally good made with canned pickled spring asparagus.
- Long cucumber pickles quartered also make a good filling.
- For a slightly different flavor, I roast green beans or asparagus and use them. This is a great option if you don’t have canned pickles on hand.
Are they just for parties?
We don’t only have these easy appetizers for parties, though – I make them all the time to start meals for our family or add to them – especially if the meal doesn’t have a lot of protein in it. Think a good vegetable soup meal starting with this roll-up appetizer.
But that’s not all – what about as a lunch option? I find them to be a great stand-in for a sandwich at lunch when you’re wanting to cut down on carbs. I don’t even miss the bread when I have a couple of these roll-ups along with a salad or some vegetables and dip.
Easy Bean or Asparagus Roll-Up Appetizer
One of the reasons I started making the roll-up appetizers and developed my own recipe for them is because I can use either my home-canned pickled beans or pickled asparagus. In fact, it’s one of the reasons I make sure to can at least one batch each year. In a pinch I will use quartered refrigerator garlic dill pickles, but I prefer the beans or asparagus.
And although this recipe pictured shows them made with pickled beans and ham, the recipe is easily adaptable to different vegetables and wraps.
Try them with these changes:
- Use sliced turkey, roast beef, or chicken instead of ham.
- Use roasted asparagus or green beans – roast with lots of garlic for a totally different flavor from the pickled version.
- Add a sliced sweet pepper to the center – either along with a pickled bean or on it’s own for a fresh, crunchy appetizer.
Honestly, with the meat and the cream cheese combo, you really can’t go wrong with however you put them together. It’s just a great combination overall.
I hope you enjoy them as much as our family does!
Click the arrow for the full recipe (with print options)!
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables