Easy and ready to cook in just 10 minutes, Slow Cooker Italian Style Pot Roast is flavored with garlic, herbs, wine, and bacon. Come home to dinner tonight!
I know you'll love this Italian style pot roast recipe as much as my family does! It's got all the things going for it that make it a keeper:
- you can throw everything in a slow cooker and forget about it (seriously. love.)
- it's seasoned with wine, garlic, and Italian herbs to change it up a bit from regular pot roast
- there's lots of tender beef and flavorful vegetables
- it makes a wonderful au jus to use as a gravy for mashed potatoes
Now, not being Italian and all, I'm the first one to admit that I have no idea if they eat anything like this in Italy. But how else to describe a roast that has wine, mushrooms, lots of garlic and Italian seasonings? From an American standpoint, Italian pretty much covers it.
Not to be overlooked in all this easy and convenient part of slow cooker recipes is the fact that this is SO good. Especially when served with garlic and sour cream mashed potatoes. So, so good.
Slow Cooker Italian Style Pot Roast (with oven directions, too)
Oh, and did I mention the bacon? Now I know you'll want to try this! Pancetta is probably more Italian, but either works to deliver even more flavor, so it's all good. If you have time and feel like it, brown the meat first before adding it to the bowl of the slow cooker.
And don't forget this kitchen tip for having bacon available in just a few strips at a time for recipes like this - it's a quick video showing what I do with almost every pound of bacon we get.
Want to make it even more amazing? Serve it with garlic & sour cream mashed potatoes and I promise your family will be begging you to make this combo regularly.
This is awesome cold-weather comfort food at it's best!
Slow Cooker Italian Style Pot Roast
- 2 onions roughly chopped
- 1 pound carrots cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 cups sliced mushrooms optional
- 3 to 4 pounds boneless beef chuck roast
- salt and pepper
- 2 14- oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 3 slices bacon
- chopped parsley for garnish optional
- Layer onions, carrots and mushrooms (if using) in the bowl of a 4 to 6 qt. slow cooker.
- Season roast with salt and pepper and place on top of vegetables in cooker.
- Add tomatoes around the edge and pour wine (or broth) over all.
- Mix garlic and herbs together and spread evenly over the top of the roast; lay the bacon slices on top.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour, turn to LOW and cook for 7-8 hours (or cook on LOW for 10 hours).
- Transfer roast to a cutting board and slice against the grain. Arrange on a platter with the vegetables and spoon some of the juices over all. Pass the remaining juice at the table along with a side dish of mashed potatoes.
- Cook the roast covered in a 350 degree oven for about 2-3 hours or until a meat thermometer says it's done.
- Lay the roast on just the onions and wait to add the carrots and mushrooms until the last hour.
- You can remove the cover the last 15 minutes to see about crisping up the bacon, too.
Other slow cooker recipes you may like: