Soft 100% Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
The softest 100% whole wheat dinner rolls you’ve ever had!
- Prep Time: 2 hours 30 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 2 hours 55 mins
- Yield: 24 rolls
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast (instant works, too)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup lukewarm buttermilk or milk
- 4-1/2-5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dissolve the yeast in the 1/2 cup warm water in a glass measure. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and honey in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Add the eggs and mix, scraping the sides. Add the warmed milk along with the yeast mixture.
- Add 4-1/2 cups of flour and the salt, mixing until combined. Change to dough hook and knead for 2-3 minutes only, just until no longer tacky, adding a tablespoon or two of flour, if needed.
- Let sit in bowl, covered, to rise for one hour. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead a couple of times, then let rest 3 minutes.
- Divide into 24 equal pieces, shaping each into a ball and placing in a buttered 13×9-inch baking dish with the pieces touching.
- Let rise, covered for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
*Make ahead tip: you can make these up to a month in advance, let the cool in the pan, remove them as one piece, separate into 2 sections of 12 rolls and place each section of rolls into a gallon sized freezer baggie. Freeze until needed. When ready to serve, take them out in the morning to thaw, then wrap the 12-roll section in tin foil and heat in a 300-350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until warm
- Serving Size: 1 roll
- Calories: 135
- Sugar: 3.5g
- Sodium: 144mg
- Fat: 4.7g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7g
- Carbohydrates: 19.7g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Protein: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 31mg
Keywords: rolls, thanksgiving, soft, whole wheat,
Want more easy, you’ll-never-buy-bread-again recipes?
Disclosure: affiliate links in this article will earn commission based on sales, but it doesn’t change your price. Click here to read my full disclaimer and advertising disclosure.
Subscribe & Get Simple Real Food Dinner Menus + Shopping Lists