- 4 cups trimmed fresh* green beans (cut as desired)
- 1 Tb. butter
- 1 Tb. olive oil
- 1 Tb. minced fresh garlic
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- ¼ c. water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Skillet method:
- Prepare green beans.
- Heat butter and oil over medium-high heat in a large, shallow pan.
- Add beans and cook, stirring, for about 4 minutes. Add garlic and pepper flakes, if using, and stir.
- Add water and cover. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, depending on desired doneness.
- Remove lid and, turning heat to high, cook stirring constantly until liquid evaporates and some beans start to brown.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
- Grill method:
- Prepare beans.
- Coat beans with only olive oil (no butter) and toss with garlic, salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes, if using.
- Using a high-sided grill pan with holes, grill the beans over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes or until done, tossing frequently. Make sure to let some of the beans get a little charred on them…oh SO good.
Note: this classic AOC recipe was originally published in 2010 and has been updated with all new photos, formatting and printable recipe. The amazing results are the same!
Other Green Bean Recipes You May Like: