This mocha chip cookie is really popular whenever I bring them to gatherings. I think people just expect a regular chocolate chip cookie and are happily surprised by the subtle coffee flavor. Adding a little coffee to a chocolate chip cookie is a delicious variation, and since I married someone whose favorite cookie is chocolate chip, I have to mix it up anywhere I can (how many different chocolate chip cookies are there? Let me count the ways…).
Seriously, though, this is more of an “adult” cookie, meaning the kids don’t like ’em as much because they “taste like coffee.” And to that I say, “hooray!” Maybe I’ll actually get more than one of this cookie.
Start by dissolving 1/4 cup of instant coffee in a couple tablespoons of hot water.
Now, I use this instant espresso powder and it’s ground much finer that regular instant coffee. If you use this, I have found 2 tablespoons is plenty- otherwise it’s so coffee-flavored that you can barely taste the chocolate.
Cream the butter and sugars together. Isn’t it lovely? I just love creaming butter and sugar together- it always means something good is coming…mmm.
Well, this is a scary-looking photo- bloody eggs? Nah- it’s just the eggs, vanilla, and coffee mixture!
Add flour, baking soda and salt.
Stir in a bag of chocolate chips. I like to use these dark chocolate ones and oh my, are they are good.
Drop by tablespoons onto a cookie sheet. I’ve got these silicone pan liners that I love- I never worry about greasing or sticking. I have found that I like the dark ones (vs. the lighter “silpat” types) for cookies so they darken on the bottoms in the short time they bake. And I always use a cookie scoop to get uniform cookies. Plus, it’s easier- scoop ’em in and plop them out!
Bake at 350 degrees for about 8 minutes.
And please try to let them cool before eating one, I wouldn’t want you to burn your mouth. 🙂
Mocha Chip Cookies
- 2 Tb. hot water
- 1/4 c. instant coffee granules (or 2 Tb. if using espresso powder)
- 1 c. butter, softened
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2-2/3 c. flour
- 3/4 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 2 c. chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Dissolve the instant coffee in the hot water in a small measuring cup; set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream the butter and sugars together. Add the eggs, vanilla, and dissolved coffee and mix well.
- Add the flour, soda, and salt and continue mixing. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop by tablespoons onto greased cookie sheets 2-3 inches apart.
- Bake for 8 to 8-1/2 minutes (do not overbake) and let cool on cookie sheet a minute or two before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes about 4-1/2 to 5 dozen.