This family favorite (and guest approved) baked white fish recipe is ready in 20 minutes - make a salad while it's baking and dinner's on the table! Head over to the Quick Healthy Recipes page for more ideas.
This recipe for baked white fish with a lick-the-plate parmesan crust is so easy that it has been our favorite go-to recipe for fish for a long time. When we need a quick weeknight meal, it's perfect with a salad and bread - but it's also great for company, too.
Whenever I've served it to guests, they always want the recipe, plus I love it because it can be made up in advance, kept in the fridge, and baked a few minutes before you want to serve it. More time for spending with your guests!
Fish is usually a good bet for quicker meals, since it cooks up quickly, but what's amazing about this recipe is that the simple bread-crumb-cheese-herb crust, that goes together in minutes, is just SO good. I mean, even after making it multiple times, I'd sometimes find myself saying, "Wow, I forgot how good this is!" and the kids would chime in, "Me, too!"
Any type of white fish works with this recipe - thicker fish like halibut may take a few minutes longer, and thin fillets like tilapia may take less. I've even topped salmon with this crust, we like it so much!
3 Easy Steps for Baked White Fish with Parmesan-Herb Crust
How many minutes will it take you to gather bread crumbs, herbs, and grated Parmesan? I use bread crumbs I make from ends and pieces that I keep in the freezer, so it takes me 5 minutes. Add a bit of olive oil to hold it together and spoon it evenly on top of the fillets. Spray with a bit more olive oil - this Mr. Misto is what I use - before baking.
While the fish is baking, make a quick green salad, heat some bread, and cut a lemon if you like. A complete dinner ready in under 30 minutes- nice.
If you like fish, I know you will love this because our family practically cleans the pan when I serve this- literally. No one wants all the good topping to go to waste!
Quick & Easy Baked Fish with Parmesan-Herb Crust
- 4 white fish fillets about 6-oz. each, like flounder, cod, tilapia, halibut, etc.
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs preferably homemade
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley fresh- if using dry only 2 teaspoons
- 1/4 teaspoon each: basil oregano, and thyme
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Oil a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Arrange the fish fillets in the dish, folding any thin parts under to avoid overcooking -some fish, like tilapia, might need to be folded in half if they're really thin- the idea is to try to make them the same thickness to cook in the same time frame.
- In a small bowl, mix the bread crumbs, cheese, garlic, herbs, and pepper. Stir in 1 tablespoon olive oil to moisten.
- Divide the crumb mixture evenly over the fillets. Drizzle or spray with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- Bake until the topping is golden and the fish is opaque when flaked, about 10-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the filets.
More quick & easy seafood recipes you may like: