This family favorite (and guest approved) baked white fish recipe is ready in 20 minutes - make a salad while it's baking and dinner's on the table! Head over to the Quick Healthy Recipes page for more ideas.
Want to save this?
Enter your email below and you'll get it straight to your inbox. Plus you'll get easy new recipes, gardening tips & more every week!
This recipe for baked white fish with a lick-the-plate parmesan crust is so easy that it has been our favorite go-to recipe for fish for a long time. When we need a quick weeknight meal, it's perfect with a salad and bread - but it's also great for company, too.
Whenever I've served it to guests, they always want the recipe, plus I love it because it can be made up in advance, kept in the fridge, and baked a few minutes before you want to serve it. More time for spending with your guests!
Fish is usually a good bet for quicker meals, since it cooks up quickly, but what's amazing about this recipe is that the simple bread-crumb-cheese-herb crust, that goes together in minutes, is just SO good. I mean, even after making it multiple times, I'd sometimes find myself saying, "Wow, I forgot how good this is!" and the kids would chime in, "Me, too!"
Any type of white fish works with this recipe - thicker fish like halibut may take a few minutes longer, and thin fillets like tilapia may take less. I've even topped salmon with this crust, we like it so much!
3 Easy Steps for Baked White Fish with Parmesan-Herb Crust
How many minutes will it take you to gather bread crumbs, herbs, and grated Parmesan? I use bread crumbs I make from ends and pieces that I keep in the freezer, so it takes me 5 minutes. Add a bit of olive oil to hold it together and spoon it evenly on top of the fillets. Spray with a bit more olive oil - this Mr. Misto is what I use - before baking.
While the fish is baking, make a quick green salad, heat some bread, and cut a lemon if you like. A complete dinner ready in under 30 minutes- nice.
If you like fish, I know you will love this because our family practically cleans the pan when I serve this- literally. No one wants all the good topping to go to waste!
Quick & Easy Baked Fish with Parmesan-Herb Crust
- 4 white fish fillets about 6-oz. each, like flounder, cod, tilapia, halibut, etc.
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs preferably homemade
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley fresh- if using dry only 2 teaspoons
- 1/4 teaspoon each: basil oregano, and thyme
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Oil a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Arrange the fish fillets in the dish, folding any thin parts under to avoid overcooking -some fish, like tilapia, might need to be folded in half if they're really thin- the idea is to try to make them the same thickness to cook in the same time frame.
- In a small bowl, mix the bread crumbs, cheese, garlic, herbs, and pepper. Stir in 1 tablespoon olive oil to moisten.
- Divide the crumb mixture evenly over the fillets. Drizzle or spray with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- Bake until the topping is golden and the fish is opaque when flaked, about 10-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the filets.
More quick & easy seafood recipes you may like: