Greek Style Shrimp and Orzo is a 30 minute, simple, from scratch one-dish dinner that our family devours. I love shrimp in any form, and mixing it with feta, vegetables, and orzo – well, it’s just one of my favorite combinations! This is a versatile dish that’s equally good in summer with peppers and tomatoes as it is in the colder months with broccoli and peas. And I don’t know what it is about orzo, but for some reason I like orzo more than regular pasta – isn’t that weird? So even though we’re not eating as much pasta anymore, orzo still makes it on our menu regularly – and mostly in this dish, though sometimes I make it with chicken.
The basic ingredients are the orzo and shrimp of course, but what I like about this is all the vegetables you add that help make it a one-dish dinner. I always add onions and garlic, of course, carrots and some type of greens like spinach, chard, or kale. I like it with sweet red peppers, too, and adding chopped fresh tomatoes is a treat when we have them. The Greek flavors come from feta cheese, lemon and olives, though I often make it without the olives if we don’t have any or just use regular olives. See? I wasn’t kidding about the versatility.
Greek Style Shrimp and Orzo
A versatile, one dish dinner ready in less than 30 minutes.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: Main Dish
- 8 oz. orzo pasta
- 2 TB. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut in half, then sliced thin
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Optional other vegetables like red bell pepper, broccoli, peas, etc.
- 12 oz. large shrimp, pre-cooked or peeled and shelled (if raw)
- 4 c. chopped greens like spinach, chard, or kale
- Zest and juice of one small lemon
- 1-2 tsp. salt, to taste
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/3 cup Kalamata olives, sliced (optional)
- 3/4 cup feta cheese
- Optional toppings: chopped parsley, chopped tomatoes
- Cook orzo to al dente according to package directions.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the carrots and onions and saute for 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and and any other optional vegetables; cook for another couple of minutes or until the vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add the shrimp along with the spinach, chard or kale and cook until done (you can use cooked shrimp – just add it after the spinach has wilted).
- Stir in the lemon zest and juice, salt, pepper, and olives along with the drained orzo.
- Mix well and serve sprinkled with the feta and any other toppings.
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables