This Greek style shrimp and orzo is a versatile one-dish dinner full of flavor and ready in 30 minutes that our family devours in five! Make sure to check out more Quick Healthy Recipes.
Greek Style Shrimp and Orzo is a 30 minute, simple, from scratch one-dish dinner that our family devours. I love shrimp in any form, and mixing it with feta, vegetables, and orzo – well, it’s just one of my favorite combinations! This is a versatile dish that’s equally good in summer with peppers and tomatoes as it is in the colder months with broccoli and peas. And I don’t know what it is about orzo, but for some reason I like orzo more than regular pasta – isn’t that weird? So even though we’re not eating as much pasta anymore, orzo still makes it on our menu regularly – and mostly in this dish, though sometimes I make it with chicken.
The basic ingredients are the orzo and shrimp of course, but what I like about this is all the vegetables you add that help make it a one-dish dinner. I always add onions and garlic, of course, carrots and some type of greens like spinach, chard, or kale. I like it with sweet red peppers, too, and adding chopped fresh tomatoes is a treat when we have them. The Greek flavors come from feta cheese, lemon and olives, though I often make it without the olives if we don’t have any or just use regular olives. See? I wasn’t kidding about the versatility.
Greek Style Shrimp and Orzo
A versatile, one dish dinner ready in less than 30 minutes.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- 8 oz. orzo pasta
- 2 TB. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut in half, then sliced thin
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Optional other vegetables like red bell pepper, broccoli, peas, etc.
- 12 oz. large shrimp, pre-cooked or peeled and shelled (if raw)
- 4 c. chopped greens like spinach, chard, or kale
- Zest and juice of one small lemon
- 1–2 tsp. salt, to taste
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/3 cup Kalamata olives, sliced (optional)
- 3/4 cup feta cheese
- Optional toppings: chopped parsley, chopped tomatoes
- Cook orzo to al dente according to package directions.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the carrots and onions and saute for 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and and any other optional vegetables; cook for another couple of minutes or until the vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add the shrimp along with the spinach, chard or kale and cook until done (you can use cooked shrimp – just add it after the spinach has wilted).
- Stir in the lemon zest and juice, salt, pepper, and olives along with the drained orzo.
- Mix well and serve sprinkled with the feta and any other toppings.
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables