This salad is one of my favorites of all time. Really. For those of you who’ve been around for awhile or who use our menus, this isn’t a surprise because it’s been featured in many of our meals. Why? Well, I think it’s well established that we like our feta around here – Three Pea Salad, Authentic Greek Salad, Creamy Feta Dip, Cranberry Feta Broccoli Slaw…the list seriously goes on!
Second, let’s be blunt: carrots are cheap and available year around. Organic carrots from Costco are a great deal, and we’ve found them to be consistently sweet and tasty. Since they come in a big bag (okay, actually a huge bag that we have to split up to even fit in our fridge) we pretty much always have carrots around.
But the main reason is it’s just really, really good. As in, I-leave-my-name-on-the-leftovers-and-if-anyone-takes-it-they’re-in-trouble kind of good. It’s equally good in the winter next to roasted chicken and potatoes as it is in the summer alongside grilled sausages. The Kalamata olives and the feta both contrast nicely with the sweet carrots and sometimes spicy onions. And the lemon dressing just makes it refreshing.
Have I sold you yet? How about easy: I grate all the carrots in our food processor in about 5 minutes, chop the onions and olives in another 5 minutes and toss it with the dressing and remaining ingredients in 5 more minutes. Delicious, real food ready in 15 minutes. Now I have you, right?
Carrot Salad with Feta & Olives
Adapted from Sunset
- 6 lg. carrots
- 1 medium onion, preferably sweet
- 1/2 c. Kalamata olives
- 1 c. crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. each salt & black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/3 c. olive oil
- 1/4 c. chopped parsley
- Trim and peel the carrots and grate them in a food processor (or by hand if you’d like – it’ll just take longer); add grated carrots to a large bowl.
- Chop onion and olives and add to carrots along with the crumbled feta.
- In a small bowl or 1-cup glass measure whisk the lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper and cumin together. Add the olive oil and whisk until completely combined and creamy.
- Pour the dressing over the ingredients in the bowl and mix well. Serve garnished with chopped parsley.
Makes 6 servings
Sharing this at Real Food RoundUp
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables