I'm excited to share with you one of our family's new favorite salads, Cranberry, Walnut and Feta Broccoli Slaw. This salad was created on the fly after finding a clearance sale package of the shredded broccoli stem-carrot mixture that's sold as broccoli slaw (a brilliant way to use up broccoli stems, I think). You know when you find clearanced produce that you need to use it right away, so that night I threw it together with our family's favorite regular lettuce salad toppings, dried cranberries and feta, and added some onion and walnuts for more flavor and crunch. And of course you know that I tossed it all with a homemade balsamic vinaigrette, 'cause I really prefer slaws with a light oil-and-vinegar dressing versus the goopy-sweet mayo-based versions.
Now, our daughter is pretty vocal about not liking broccoli, but cranberries and feta is, like I said, our favorite salad ingredients, so she dug into it and declared it delicious before asking "what is this?" When I told her, she took it in stride, saying that this was the way broccoli should be eaten. Moral? This is the salad you serve to all the broccoli-hating people you know so they can get all the antioxidant-goodness painlessly.
Me? I'll take broccoli anyway, thank you very much. But I do add packaged broccoli slaw to my grocery list whenever it's on sale now - this is one time I'm happy to pay a bit extra for someone else to shred all those broccoli stems. And $1.50-2.00 isn't too much to pay for a delicious way to eat a good-for-you vegetable.
Cranberry, Walnut & Feta Broccoli Slaw
- 1 12-ounce package shredded broccoli slaw OR regular cabbage slaw
- 1/2 small onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Combine all the salad ingredients in a medium bowl (big enough to toss all the ingredients).
- Make the vinaigrette by combining all the ingredients except the oil in a bowl or lidded jar and mixing well. Whisk in the oil until completely combined.
- Pour some of the dressing over the slaw and toss to coat, adding more as desired.*
- Serve immediately.