So, I kinda fell in love with this roasted corn salsa recipe – it’s such a great way to cook frozen corn – and my mind started spinning with all the ways I could see this being used (as well as just the roasting technique in other recipes – don’t be surprised if you start seeing more roasted corn recipes!).
Since healthy appetizers are always a good bet (we need a balance with the cheesy dips, wouldn’t you agree?) and I still had some mini bell peppers from the garden, I created these easy, yummy, cheese-stuffed mini peppers that are topped with the roasted corn salsa to help round out our appetizer offerings perfectly. I’m always looking for a grain-free appetizer to serve for those eating paleo as well as emphasizing vegetables and protein over chips and bread. And, hey – there’s still cheese involved, right?
The first step to making the stuffed peppers is to cut and seed the mini bell peppers. I wanted to share this easy technique for anyone like me who spent years trying to seed the peppers with the tip of a knife: use a spoon! It’s easy to just scoop out the seeds without accidentally cutting into the pepper flesh. For these small peppers, I used a small sugar spoon which just fit inside the pepper halves.
I used two different types of cheese, an herb-garlic Boursin and shredded pepper-jack. Simply spoon the creamy Boursin into the pepper halves or press in the grated cheese, making sure the shreds are pushed firmly inside, then top the pepper halves with a spoonful of the already prepared roasted corn salsa.
Bake for a few minutes until the cheese is just a melty goodness all around. Um, can we just agree that cheese makes so many things good? I really do feel sorry for people who can’t do cheese. Really.
And aren’t they pretty adorable on a white plate? All those vibrant colors – and the cute little stems. I really felt very ‘chef-like’ when it occurred to me that I could leave them on and cut them in half. Plus they work like perfect little holders for easier eating!
Seriously, these are so quick and good that they would make a nice vegetable to go along with regular meals, too, and not just appetizers. Now I’m off to find more ways to use the corn salsa…
Cheese-Stuffed Mini Peppers with Roasted Corn Salsa
- 12 mini bell peppers cut in half and seeded
- 1/2 to 1 cup cheese of your choice creamy or shredded*
- 1 cup prepared roasted corn salsa
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place pepper halves on a small baking sheet (if some roll around, slice a tiny bit from the backs to help them sit flat).
- Add cheese: use a spoon to fill halfway with creamy cheese (like Boursin); use fingers to stuff halves with shredded cheese, pressing into shell.
- Top each half with a spoonful of prepared roasted corn salsa. Don't worry about some falling off - you can put it back on after baking.
- Bake for 10 minutes and serve immediately.